question

stevecoscia avatar image
stevecoscia asked

MPPT 7515 Wire Terminal Issue

My 105W SunflareSolar panel's output is measuring 18V on my voltmeter. When I connect the wires to the controller, the panel measures 0.7V. and the blue light keeps blinking as though the controller is not connected to the panel What would cause the wire terminals to pull down the voltage?

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more infomation.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

Any Battery connected to the mppt Controller ?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stevecoscia avatar image stevecoscia commented ·

Thanks Netrange for the question. Yes, the battery is a FullThrottle 560.

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image netrange stevecoscia commented ·

Check your mppt Configuration ... Little Jumper in the Communication Port ?? Blue or Smart mppt ??? ...

0 Likes 0 ·
stevecoscia avatar image stevecoscia netrange commented ·

I have never touched the little jumper. Looks like it's in the middle position.

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image netrange stevecoscia commented ·

Any Possibility to connect a USB Adapter to the mppt ?

0 Likes 0 ·
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

The 18V is 'Voc' or voltage open circuit. It's the voltage without any load connected to the panel. As soon as you connect any load to the panel ,the voltage will drop, depending on how much sun it sees and the amount of current you pull.

If there is hardly any sun, connecting any load will lower the voltage to practically nothing.

5 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for the explanation, Tozz. The panel wires were connected for numerous sunny days and the blue light blinked the whole time. This is baffling.

0 Likes 0 ·
stevecoscia avatar image stevecoscia stevecoscia commented ·

To clarify: The panel wires were connected to *the controller* for numerous sunny days and the blue light blinked the whole time.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 stevecoscia commented ·

So it used to work or it never worked?

0 Likes 0 ·
stevecoscia avatar image stevecoscia seb71 commented ·

Great question. My answer is vague in that I don't think it has ever worked. I'm pretty sure the blue light has always blinked.

One added detail, early on I over-tightened the 7515's positive panel terminal screw and this diminished the wire recepticle's adjustability. I have to force the receptacle to open to receive the panel's positive wire.

0 Likes 0 ·
stevecoscia avatar image stevecoscia stevecoscia commented ·

Added detail. I've never messed with the jumper - it is still in the middle position.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Check the polarity. A reverse connected panel will be shorted and voltage drops to 0.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Matthias. The panel wires are correctly marked from the panel to the controller.

0 Likes 0 ·