question

dewitpj avatar image
dewitpj asked

ESS Mode 3 with low SoC kills output

Hi,

In our solution we ended up tell the Victron to not use the grid at 6% SoC. This started a battery discharge (as expected) and then lead to the SoC dropping to 5%. At this point ESS killed the output and turned the inverter off - is this normal ? We still have a lot of energy left at 5% ? Perhaps passthru would be better ?

Cheers,

Pieter

ESS
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

are you sure it wasn't the inverter that shut down on low voltage?
energy left at 5%, depends on batteries and how accurate SOC is measured.

btw for better answers, you'll have to tell what kind of system you're running, and settings in Multi etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
dewitpj avatar image dewitpj boekel ♦ commented ·

hhhmmm, could be - I assumed it to be ESS since the ESS display said "Off"

System:

Quattro 10kw

ZCell BMS+Battery

not sure what other settings/details would be helpfull ?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ dewitpj commented ·

Everything can be relevant.

What are the specs of your battery? (how many batteries)
ZCell can deliver more power when fully charged, so this might be a factor, but with the information you've given us, we can only guess what's happening.

check your BMS parameters when this happens, (target voltages, maximum current etc) and you might get usefull info.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi did you get this sorted out

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dewitpj avatar image dewitpj commented ·

Hi Paul,

I opted for the easy way out and put my Low SoC limit at 10. I have readjusted this back to 2 for the test.

I can't recall if this happened before or after this report, but we have had the voltage limits adjusted on the BMS to what they should be.

Either way - retesting and will advise shortly - let's see :)

0 Likes 0 ·
dewitpj avatar image dewitpj commented ·

Hi Paul,

I suspect the BMS was incorrectly configured, hence the drop off at 5% - I can still kill the AC Output by draining the batteries and forcing the Victron to ignore AC Input 1 - not sure if this is by design - kinda of like "Hey, if you stupid enough to force Mode 3 and AC Off, then your load will die if you don't monitor the batteries" or if this something that would be reasonable to "catch" in the Victron - either way, I would consider this closed - Thanks for the reply :)

0 Likes 0 ·