question

Ari Kesti avatar image
Ari Kesti asked

Take away grid over solar priority

Hi

First pic is with grid connected. Second pic is with grid breakers switched off.

How can i change so it prioritizes solar over the grid?

3 Quattro 15 kva

4 MPPT 250/100

1 CCGX

ESS with Battery Life optimized

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
sean avatar image
sean answered ·

This explains how usable capacity is based, and altered based on previous days PV input.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual#batterylife

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

There is something limiting the charge and discharge of the batteries.

Charging

Please check the Charge Current Limit in the parameters section of the battery in the CCGX.

You haven't mentioned what battery you are using, please confirm what type it is and that it is on the compatible list:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

Discharging

Try disabling the battery life setting, and just run Optimised (without battery life).

1 comment
2 |3000

Ari Kesti avatar image Ari Kesti commented ·

Hi Guy

The batteries are a Lithium bank that can store 100 kWh and it is controlled by a REC bms.

These are my settings:

It is still taking power from the grid and charging the batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ari Kesti avatar image
Ari Kesti answered ·

Forgot the main screen in last post

2 |3000

redsam avatar image
redsam answered ·

hello

an important issue where a lot of people having the same problem

but no real answer from victron always same thing .....update....check....check.... then nothing

In all topics always the same question and no answer

Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

johanndo avatar image johanndo commented ·

Think about the problem first, then ask a precise question describing what you want to do and then you will get a precise answer. It is a non-issue if you cannot describe it.

What do you understand by priority from solar over grid? The electrons from solar sit in the first row in the battery? What does priority mean to you? Less current, no current, what is it, can you articulate it so somebody else would understand what you want? When exactly should the shore charger charge and how much?

A rant about Victron isn't helpful, you have all the tools necessary provided in the Victron products, BMV gives you a programmable relay, Multiplus has 3 relays and digital inputs plus a a lot of assistants to program them, the cerbo has 2 relays and a lot of inputs as well, learn to use them.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Did you update everything?

What is No 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Some pictures of the system and/or a wiring diagram could help.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

The answer is simple, you cannot. All charge sources are equal. If you want to discriminate charge sources you have to do it yourself by programming thresholds when you want charging from grid and when not. You can use timers (use shore for charging only during the night), you can use SOC and a BMV like charge from shore only if the soc is below 30% and stop charging when it is above 50% to supply power only to keep the system alive while leaving room for solar. You need a strategy, not just a wish, it is all there, but you have to define it.

There is no DWIM button yet in the gui (do what i mean)...

1 comment
2 |3000

kevin-cahoon avatar image kevin-cahoon commented ·
I am going through this same thing. Researching, there should be a simpler answer. The idea is simple, to make use of the slaor that is available and save on the cost of the grid. I have tried the settings that johando is suggesting, but doesnt seem to work. I can get the grid to kick in at 30% SOC, but cant get it to stop at 100% and let the solar handle it. I am just running my fridge in my 5th wheel
0 Likes 0 ·