question

jejochen avatar image
jejochen asked

Charging EV with excess PV when battery full

Looking for a solution: using an ESS system, when homebattery is fully charged, ideally the excess solar power now is used to charge the EV if it is plugged in. Has anyone worked on such project? There are solutions to charge an ev with excess solar, but this doesn't include a battery in the system.

This one can be programmed together with the victron if i am correct, but have litteraly zero experience with this. Any thoughts?

https://github.com/goecharger/go-eCharger-API-v1/blob/master/go-eCharger%20API%20v1%20EN.md

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

You can set one of the relays to switch when the SOC is at a certain point, by using VE configure.

On the Mulitplus inverter charger.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jejochen avatar image jejochen commented ·

Hi, thanks for the tought. I also considered this, but then there is tbe matter, that if you want to charge the ev when you need to, no matter what, there is no bypass option to start the charging. Also, when the relais switches on, the charger will pull full power to charge, instead of the excess solar power

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie jejochen commented ·

Hi

You can set it up for exces power.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
jejochen avatar image jejochen Rob Duthie commented ·

So i added the programmable relais assistent, but cant find any options to use the excess pv power. Can you point me al little further in the right direction?

0 Likes 0 ·
spicedreams avatar image spicedreams Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi @Rob Duthie@Jejochen I am also very interested in this. Could you please work through the steps in a little more detail to get this set up?

I am 100% off grid, no ESS.

Thanks

Graham (NZ)

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie spicedreams commented ·

Hi

Yes you can by putting in a bypass switch if you want to charge the EV at any time. If on auto you can set to charge the EV on surplus power SOC setting by using a assistant like this order. SOC to suit.

programmable relay (size:169)

*) Use primary programmable relay.

*) Set relay on

*) when SOChigher than 99%.

programmable relay (1) (size:30)

*) Use primary programmable relay.

*) Set relay off

*) when SOClower than 98%.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
spicedreams avatar image spicedreams Rob Duthie commented ·
Thanks @Rob Duthie

Elsewhere in the community we are warned not to exceed the EasySolar's power rating- but would that be the solar charger's rating 70 A @ 250 V DC, or some parameter of the Multiplus?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie spicedreams commented ·
Hi

You can limit the power anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image mrhappy Rob Duthie commented ·

I believe the EV charger would need to continously get information about how many amps to charge with for the system to really use only excess PV power to feed the charger. How is that communication done? Please explain, I am eager to learn.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie mrhappy commented ·
Hi

It gets the information from the Venus GX device via the current energy CT when it knows it has surplus to export it will switch a relay or contactor to supply the other loads hot water ev etc.

As all current is measured at the supply loads etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image mrhappy Rob Duthie commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Bogdan Nedelcu avatar image
Bogdan Nedelcu answered ·

I posted a quick script to prevent draining the batteries while a large consumer draws power from the system.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/113114/software-attenuation-for-home-excess-pv-charging-o.html

2 |3000

Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

We have a new product, capable of doing this:
https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ev-charging-station

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
When are these availble in New Zealand?
0 Likes 0 ·