question

joao-capelao avatar image
joao-capelao asked

Dificulties on charging batteries with generator on ESS system

I have 3 quattro´s 15000VA connected in parallel configured for ESS self consumption with OPZV bateries (1200AH). I have connected mains on AC2 and a 20 KVA generator (Perkins/Stamford) connected on AC1. When I start the generator the system most of the times changes constantly between PASSTHRU and BULK. Sometimes for some minutes it can stay constantly charging the batteries in BULK, but sudenly goes to PASSTHRU and stops charging the batteries. This situation does´t allow to charge batteries with generator. I have already changed the grid codes on VE3 configure but i have got no changes on this behaviour. Does anyone have and idea for solving this issue? Many thanks!

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mod1992 avatar image
mod1992 answered ·

Could I ask what kva your generator is and if this is a 3phase generator and your only using one phase?

Have you limited your input amps to suit the altonator, (you may find the altonators voltage regulator is trying to keep the volts up but eventually it drops too low and so charging stops,

20kva single phase i would limit to 65a max,

3 phase about 20a (let me know how you get on)

I've assumed your in the UK so if not please say :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joao-capelao avatar image joao-capelao commented ·

Hi,

Thanks for your answer!!

It is a 20 KVA mono phase with Stamford alernator AVR controlled. When the problem happens the voltage and frequency is very stabe because the generator is powerfull and the load is less then half of maximum power. I have limited the power to 75a bur i can change to a litle lower. I can undestand easaly that it is not a problem of short power from generator because it never goes behiond 9 KW charge and there are no significant changes on frequency and voltage. Besides this sometimes it charges the batterries without any problem for periods of aprox. 1 hour or more and then it changes to PASSTHRU without any reason . It seem´s to me that it might be some issue related with sinusoidal shape wave or electric compatibility (nothing related to frequency or voltage or even lack of power). I have tried to change configuratin values according to pubication https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq that Daniel sent, but The result is the sama. Strange is the fact that sometimes it works OK and other times it does noit, without doing any change on configuration. It seems that the system is working on the line edge (frontier) between compatibility and no compatibility.

This installation is in Portugal.

REGARDS

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

joao-capelao avatar image joao-capelao commented ·

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

REGARDS

0 Likes 0 ·