question

crodo avatar image
crodo asked

Offgrid/Mobile EV Charger

Hi,

I have a Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) and am looking to utilise the solar panels I have on the roof (1100W) to provide some charge to the 300V 11kWh batteries. I have two Victron 100/50 charge controllers that provide charge to the 12V battery in the car.

I have an inverter rated to 1500W that I will use to charge the main drive batteries of the car (with the supplied EV charger) but can’t find a way to limit the EV charger to draw only excess power from the panels that isn’t going to charging the 12v battery. Is there a way to complete this set-up? The 40 Amp hour 12V battery is only used to charge auxiliary equipment in the car such as a small 12v fridge.

Thanks for your help!

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Usually, all the electric vehicles can charge with a minimum of 6A so that's ~1300W. Having a 1500W inverter, will make your plan impossible

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.