question

richci avatar image
richci asked

Solar to MPPT controller, not hooked up to battery.

I have a MPPT 150/60 controller. The manual section 3.4 says to hook up the battery first then the solar. When I turn off the battery for storage the solar output will still be going to the controller. Will this be a problem or will I have to disconnect the solar array also?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Richci

You should always disconnect the solar before disconnecting the battery.

Basically the reverse of manual section 3.4

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

randy-putnam avatar image
randy-putnam answered ·

c144ff1d-04cf-474c-bed4-508a6b93540e.jpegYou could add a breaker between the PV positive and the controller PV input. Base you breaker fuse size on the short circuit amperage for your total PV load. Looks like 60A would be ok based on your controller size. Here’s how I set mine up when I was adding PV to my boat. I have the safety of a properly sized fuse, along with the convenience of a switch to turn the PV current on and off before it reaches the battery bank.

2 |3000