question

tfj avatar image
tfj asked

Any potential problems associated with automatically adjusting the Maximum Inverter Power in the ESS every minute?

When the grid is available, I need to limit the discharge current from the battery, while making sure that I use all the available PV power to charge the battery, and power essential and non-essential loads.

I have implemented the following: By reading the irradiance value (W/m^2) and cell temperature from the IMT irradiance sensor (see Venus manual section 1.10), I can calculate the maximum PV power available from the PV array. Taking into account the SOC of the battery, I then calculate the "Maximum Inverter Power". With a low SOC (say below 50%), Maximum Inverter Power is set to a value lower than the maximum PV power available, ensuring that the battery is being charged; while with a high SOC (say above 90%), Maximum Inverter Power is set equal or even slightly higher than maximum PV power available, feeding the load. This is done via a Cron Job calling a Bash Script every minute from 6h00 to 18h00. This implies that the Maximum Inverter Power is adjusted every minute throughout the day. During the night hours, I limit the Maximum Inverter Power to 500 W.

Question: Are there any potential problems or negatives associated with automatically adjusting the Maximum Inverter Power in the ESS every minute or even more frequently perhaps?

ESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tfj avatar image tfj commented ·

Any response from Victron?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I cant see any harm myself if you do that as the inverter will just respond to the setting, it may not respond every secound though as it will take time to adjust to the new setting

Why would you do that anyway

are you AC coupled or DC coupled

what are you wanting to achieve, ie NO exporting power

what inverter unit do you have etc and what size array do you have.

the ess should handle most use's in its standard form

some more information and they maybe a better or different suggestion / solution for you

RE

When the grid is available, I need to limit the discharge current from the battery, while making sure that I use all the available PV power to charge the battery, and power essential and non-essential loads.

I do this all day every day on my system using the standard ESS AC coupled

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.