question

sean avatar image
sean asked

ESS #5 recharge - rate of charge control ?

I'm wondering what dictates the rate of charge when in #5 recharge.

System consists of:

MPII, MPPT, AC coupled Fronius, Fronius & Victron Smart meter, CanBMS.

DVCC, ESS self consumption (batterylife)

By observation the slow charge rate is around 5A - BMS charge target is 20A normal, 2.5A limited.

MPPT input increases the slow charge rate.

ESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Sean,

I have seen your question, but also do not know the answer. I will see if I can find out for us both.

Perhaps while we wait, could you please add some more details or descriptions about what you are seeing and what you expect to see?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Izak (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

There are two ways that the system might end up in Slow Charge. The one is that there was a low voltage condition, or a low cell condition, and the Multi itself is in Sustain mode. The other is that the battery SOC has been below the minimum for more than 24 hours. In both cases the charge current is 5 ampere.

See here for half the story: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual#sustain_mode

If the Multi is in sustain, then the charge current is dictated by the Multi, otherwise the charge current is dictated by the CCGX (in the case where the ESS MinSoC was exceeded for too long). In both cases it is a hard-coded value.

This limit applies only to the Multi: It protects the batteries from long-term damage by charging slowly from the grid.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sean avatar image sean commented ·

Thank you Izak, knowing that the charge rate is hard coded was the detail I was seeking, as part of wanting a more comprehensive understanding of the control system.

0 Likes 0 ·