question

ryanb avatar image
ryanb asked

Howto disable BMS control, while keeping CAN-bms connected

Hi everyone,

Below it shows that BMS control is enabled automatically when a BMS is present:

Is there a way to disable BMS control, so that the MPPT manages charging the battery from its own charge settings, while also having the measurement info (SOC for example) from the BMS displayed via CAN?

MPPT ControllersBMSDVCC
bms-control.png (49.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @ryanb

This is not possible, it's a safety feature.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ryanb avatar image ryanb commented ·

Interestingly enough, I have found that if I disable DVCC (venus version 2.33), then the MPPT does in fact adjust to its own float voltage (which is below the maximum charge voltage sent from the BMS), yet the MPPT still displays that it is under 'BMS control'.

If DVCC in on however, then the MPPT always follows the 'max charge voltage' parameter sent from the BMS via CAN-bus.

This solves our situation, so thank you Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ryanb commented ·

@ryanb

Ah yes of course...with most CANbus batteries DVCC is automatically enabled, but not all...

0 Likes 0 ·
over-and-under-victron avatar image
over-and-under-victron answered ·

I don't understand the safety aspect?

The only reason I've plugged in my BMSs to the Cerbo is for monitoring and data logging.

2 |3000