question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Mc4 max cable size for 250/70 cc

Installing 2xsmartsolar 250/70 mc4

Can someone tell me what is the max cable size the MC4 can support ? Can I crimp larger than awg10 in the mc4 ?

I have 100 feet from the combiner box to each 250/70 . Total of 24 x 320 w panels in 4 series of 6 split in 2 , so 12 panels per charge controler.

Each final line between combiner to cc will have 240v/18a roughly so I wanted to use larger cable than awg10.

Thanks

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is possible to get MC4 connectors capable of crimping onto 10mm² (AWG 8) cable.

Your installer / dealer should be able to sort you out, otherwise have Google search for a supplier in your local area.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

Thanks. We are the installer-dealer ! My concern is related to the specific MC4 terminals of the 250/70 .

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@Herve RV Nizard I am not exactly sure what your concern is. A standard quality MC4 connector can handle 600V/30A on 6mm2 and the MC4 connectors on the Victron products would be no different, if not better. Your concern maybe should rather be fitting lesser quality connectors on the strings and then overcompensating with e.g. 10mm2 cable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard commented ·

Thanks. I should have precised that my concern was related to the distance between the combiner box and the mppt : 35 meters. I was initially worried that the usual awg10 solar cable would be too small for this amperage/distance hence I wanted to see if i could use/crimp a larger cable to the controler's mc4. But because of the voltage I think the usual awg10 will be ok. Thanks for the assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·