question

rosemary avatar image
rosemary asked

MPPT 100/30 stuck in float

Hi everyone-I have a home built truck camper that is one year old with a Victron solar set-up in it. I am not familiar with all the smart technology and the mathematics of all this.

I have a Victron 12/2000 MultiPlus Compact inverter and a MPPT 100/30 smart charger. I also have the VE Bus smart dangle hooked in to batter and the inverter.

There is a 20 fuse in a cylindrical holder with a red button and a little red gate that opens and closes the link to the 400 Ws of solar panels and us between them and the charger.

My battery is a Renogy 12 V 100 ah by hat they discontinued -it is not their newer smart battery.

I am high up in Rockies and turned off and disconnected everything when we were hit by a big winter storm this week. I didn’t want the battery to drop to to low a temp and wanted to avoid it charging.

This morning I reconnected the battery, dongle, flipped switch on fuse to solar and turned on inverter. Been in float all day.

Not a lot of sunlight but even on overcast days up until now, it has always gone back and forth charging. I have another dongle that shows battery that monitors battery percentage, volts and ah/a and set.

The dongle shows battery has been at 57.1% since I hooked everything up again. No arrows up or down to indicate charging or discharge and inverter in float.

Right now it is cold and overcast.Panels only showing 19W on app, over 83. Volts and current at .2a. When the sun was out earlier it still showed lot watts and no charging occurred. This system always charges in low light.
Not sure what to do since I know so little about solar and electrical systems still.

I do think there could be something wrong with the cylinder that holds the 20a fuse between the solar panels and the MPPT charge controller. The gate did not want to click into the closed position.

When I swing it back and forth the controller pops into bulk briefly then into absorption . When I do get gate to close the controller immediately switches to float. According to battery capacity monitor dongle my battery percentage hasn’t changed since hooking everything up two hours ago.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This seems very much like a bad connection or open fuse / circuit breaker between the battery and the MPPT.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.