question

gyrovague avatar image
gyrovague asked

Quick charge option for ESS?

Is there some option (that I might be missing) in remote console (or VRM or wherever) to activate an immediate charge from grid state? I know of the schedule options, but sometimes we (in South Africa) will hear about an impending grid failure (load shedding) a few hours in the future, and the battery SOC might not be as desired ahead of that. It would be nice to have an option to just tell the system to charge from grid right now, perhaps until some kind of settable SOC and/or time limit or so. Let's say my battery is at 50%, and I hear there will be 2.5hrs of loadshedding in an hour from now, I'd like to be able to select a quick charge option, set it to (say) 80% SOC and 55min time limit, and have it start immediately. Right now (unless I'm missing something) I need to add a new schedule to start in a few minutes and it's a lot more keystrokes in a sense to get to what I really want: charge now.

(apologies if this has been asked and answered, I did try to search for something similar, but could not find anything)

--

multiplus II 5000, 4x 3.5kWh pylontech, 150/100 MPPT, venus GX

battery chargingESSbattery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

In the ESS menu on the GX device, change the mode from “Optimised Self Consumption” to “Keep Batteries Charged”.

That will mostly do what you want with the shortest number of button presses.

For the additional control to set thresholds to stop charging at certain states of charge you will need to use the scheduled charge feature.

There is space for manual preprogrammed scheduled charge parameters, so you could have one set mostly the way that you like it and just leave it disabled until you want to activate it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic