question

ted-burke avatar image
ted-burke asked

Very low W at noon sun in float mode OK?

MPPT 75/10 control, 100 W panel, full noon sun, only 8 W in mode. 20.5 panel V ,0.4 panel A, 13.7 bat V. Is that normal?

Getting 50-98W midday other times in Bulk mode.

thanks

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Ted Burke, if your vbatt is 13.7 then the bank is full and won't accept any more (significant) charge current, so the controller won't be pulling power from your panels. All looks well from your description.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ted-burke avatar image
ted-burke answered ·

Thanks for a clear response.
I’m new to this and I just assumed the solar panels were always PUSHING out the maximum power in watts and the controller changed the form of that power that went to the battery appropriate for the charging phase. I can see from your explanation that the controller is PULLING into the controller only what the battery needs from the panel , not its maximum wattage on a full sun noon. Did I get that right?

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Ted Burke, yes that's (basically) correct: as soon as there's light hitting the panels, they're producing voltage, but no real current until the controller puts a load on them, which drags down voltage and pushes up current which it then flips to low-voltage high-current to charge your battery... if your battery is already full though, there's nowhere for the controller to send current so it won't try to load down the panels.

One way to test this is, under similar conditions as you describe above with the controller only pulling a few watts from the panels, try putting a load on the battery bank (inverter, something like that) and watch your panel production jump up because the controller has somewhere to send current now.

0 Likes 0 ·