question

omar avatar image
omar asked

BMS 12/200 low output voltage

Hi, my name is Omar and I'm new here.

I'have connect the victron BMS 12/200 as for the victron connection scheme to the starter battery on a ford transit 2014 and to one LiFePo4 battery. My problem is that the "output on" led and the "charger" led is ever off and the output voltage is 7.5 volts (LB port).

The starter battery is 12.8 volts and the LiFePo4 battery is 13.7 volts.

I don't have the two Battery control wires and the on/off pins is closed as from new.

How can I have the 12 volts on LB port?

bms 12-200 low voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

What LiFePo4 battery are you using with the 12/200? You say that the control wires are not connected up? This will mean that the BMS cannot communicate with the battery. If the BMS cannot communicate with the battery LB will not switch on as a safety measure to protect the battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

omar avatar image omar commented ·

I use a battery from litiostore.com 12v 100 Ah.

So I need a component to create a connection between the battery and the bms 12/200. What should I have?

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Sorry, but that BMS is designed to work only with Victron batteries.

Each battery manufacturer users their own BMS. Your dealer or whoever you bought the equipment from was supposed to tell you that information.

2 |3000

omar avatar image
omar answered ·

Oh but if it is true is a joke...so if I need a lithium battery in some place of the world where there are fiction battery I'ok be out of play?

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That product is a BMS. It is a Victron BMS, so it is designed to work with their own batteries only.

Other batteries in the world have a BMS already inside, some other ones have no BMS at all.

2 |3000

omar avatar image
omar answered ·

I can sell the bms 12/200 and buy a victron Agrodiode to charge and use my LiFePo4 battery with the alternator? My batter has inside its bms. How I can limit the charge current at maximum 50 Ah? The alternator of my ford transit 2014 work until 150 Ah but the charge current of the battery is max 50Ah.

Thank you

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The Argodiode will not be able to limit charge current. Your charge current would be limited by the alternator, maybe too much current.

You could use a Buck/ Boost DC-DC converter, then you can limit the current and choose Lithium battery options with the software. You can connect the output directly to your battery, then your battery's internal BMS can do the protection.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Buck-Boost-DC-DC-converter-25A-50A-100A-EN.pdf

Check out this video, these gentlemen are installing one in their van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCOJ3nBFpIM

2 |3000

omar avatar image
omar answered ·

The alternator of a modern vehicle already limit the current for the motor battery. A LiFePo4 is not a Lithium battery and it can be charged normally with the alternator.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic