question

daryl avatar image
daryl asked

3 phase ESS system drawing from the grid unnecessarily

Hi,

I have a brand new 3 phase ESS system with 3 x Multiplus II 5000VA units.

I can't work out why the system is not generating enough power to net out a large single phase load. Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed?

I get that the multiplus on L1 may not be able to put out any more capacity, but the multiplus on L3 is doing absolutely nothing so plenty of capacity to net out my power consumption.

Multiplus II units were upgraded to the latest version, the Cerbo GX is running 2.57

I'm not really sure what information I should provide to help you diagnose this problem, so I'll just start with a screenshot of the front page. Happy to provide more detail if you can tell me what I should provide.

ESS
1596885690870.png (200.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
dayandnight avatar image
dayandnight answered ·

Hello @daryl,

It might be possible, that there is a chance for a problem in your installation or your setup but I guess, it isn't and you run in the same problem and misunderstanding as I did. What you expected is that your ESS system works as Symetrical ESS which is in the moment not supported from Victron. You can read in detail more information in my discussion here in the forum.

I explain my problem and what I have learned in a short version. As long there is no additional energy support from the PV the "standard" ESS will only deliver power phase-orientated. This has to be understood, when on L1 is a need for 5 kW the Multiplus-II 5000 is only able to deliver 4 kW on this phase, the missing 1 kW will be drawn from grid. There will be no balance with the other phases L2 and L3! I guess you expected that the differnce will be balanced with L2 and L3, which will be only done when there is reasonable PV energy. No PV! No Balance!

DayAndNight

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
2 |3000

marv21 avatar image
marv21 answered ·

With the new Firmware this is "fixed"

2 |3000