question

vomhorizon avatar image
vomhorizon asked

Disconnecting a solar panel from Victron MPPT

Hi,

I plan on mounting a 100 Watt PV on my vehicle and connecting it to the battery via a Victron smart MPPT. I don't wish to permanently keep the solar panel connected and want to be able to select when I solar charge. Therefore I plan on building a quick anderson plug disconnect between the PV and the MPPT. Will it be ok to disconnect the PV from the MPPT when the vehicle is out in the sun? Do I need to disconnect the charging from the app before doing so?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That's okay but you also can just disable the MPPT with the VictronConnect app.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vomhorizon avatar image vomhorizon commented ·

Thanks. So is it simply safe to pull the plug out of the MPPT and offload the PV? I just want to make sure I don't mess up the panels or risk a fire.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ben Pearson avatar image Ben Pearson vomhorizon commented ·

You could also put a 2 pole DC isolator in before the MPPT so that when you disconnect you know there’s no current. Also then leaving the connections you mention safely isolated when the panel is not in use.

0 Likes 0 ·