question

ispookie666 avatar image
ispookie666 asked

Multiplus 24/1600 and Li Ion

I'm new here. I was planning to build a backup power supply for some critical equipment. I wanted to know if the above (Multiplus 24/1600/40) would work with a Yuasa LEV40 battery, the volatage is 30.4 (8s each cell at 3.8V) - the chemistry is Li Ion ( likely Li Manganese).

Multiplus-IILithium Battery
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

It will work well with those batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
ispookie666 avatar image ispookie666 Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

Sorry to have not got back on this, for some reason I did not get any notification.

Should I change from 8s to 7s? Any pointers on what voltages to set.

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie ispookie666 commented ·

Hi

Yes make it 7 in series and the top out voltage of around 4.1v if you go to data sheet

it will tell your what the charge set points are.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @ispookie666

It won't work very well, because the maximum charge voltage of the multiplus is 32 volt, wich equals to 4 volt per cell.

The Yuasa LEV40 cells have very little capacity when charged to 4 volts, they need 4,1 volt for there rated capacity.

It will work better if you remove / bridge one cell and make a 7s battery

What BMS system are you planning to use?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ispookie666 avatar image
ispookie666 answered ·

Many thanks for replying. I guess I might have to go with 7s method.

The cell has its own BMS, but I will be using an aftermarket BMS to charge and discharge it.

Unless I can use another product from Victron lineup

2 |3000

ispookie666 avatar image
ispookie666 answered ·

Just an update - I shelved the 24/1600 and went with 48/1200 - batteries as 14s

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

That is perfect that is the correct # of cells to use you won't have any issues.

This what is have done and works perfectly.

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·