question

lazza avatar image
lazza asked

ESS system gets stuck in low SOC #1, even when excess PV available

Hi All,

I've noticed a problem in a 45kVA ESS system recently installed. Here is the set-up:

• 3 x 15kVA Quattros
  • 63kWh of Pylontech lithium-ion batteries
  • CCGX
  • Carlo Gavazzi EM24 with CTs
  • 15kW & 10kW Fronius Symos on the AC in.
  • All loads on AC out (Critical Loads)

System works well in general, however there appears to be a conflict happening on the days when the batteries reach the 15% minimum SOC:

At night, when the battery power has been used, the system correctly goes into #1 low SOC mode and draws no more power from the batteries, and pulls from the grid.

The problem is that the following morning, when enough PV power is available, it keeps throttling back the PV inverters to only match demand. So for example: when there is 10kW of solar available and 5kW of consumption with a 2kW grid set-point; it will only produce 3kW… instead of producing the full 10kW and start charging the batteries.

I can manually “kick-start” the system out of this dead-lock, simply by lowering the minimum SOC to 10% and restoring it 15%. The #1 state then disappears and the full 10kW is produced, charging the batteries in the process.

Having studied this over several days my theory is that there is a conflict occurring between the “phase compensation” in off-position and “zero feed-in” Fronius control.

Please note I have “no phase compensation” and “zero feed-in” set, because at the moment the system registration is being processed and no feed-in on any phase is recommended. I also have a conservative 2kW grid set-point to minimize momentary feed-in too.

My theory (and it’s only a theory) is that when low SOC #1 setting is functioning no more discharge of any type is allowed- this in effect, conflicts with the “no phase compensation”: it won’t discharge on any of the phases (good), but for some reason it won’t charge on any phases either (bad). It’s like it isolates the batteries from the system- neither charging nor discharging. The system throttles back the Fronius PV inverters in order to match Consumption minus grid set-point – instead of charging batteries with the excess solar available. And so the system stays stuck in low SOC, #1 until I kick-start it by clearing the #1 condition.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? Is this an issue Victron are aware of?

P.S. I’ve attached some screenshots: 2 of the ESS settings and 1 of the system in normal, correct operation- it hasn’t reached low SOC in the last week or so, so haven’t been able to capture that- but at least you can see how the system is set up.

ESS
ess1.jpg (99.8 KiB)
ess2.jpg (96.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Lazza, I've sent you an email.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrisawp avatar image chrisawp commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) - Also experiencing the same with an AC-Coupled system (not Fronius), but ESS #1 causes the system to stop charging even when excess PV is available.

0 Likes 0 ·
perry-westphal avatar image perry-westphal commented ·
Hi Daniel,

can I also see the answer?
0 Likes 0 ·
perry-westphal avatar image
perry-westphal answered ·

Is the problem solved?

2 |3000

Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Also experiencing the same with an AC-Coupled system using an MPPT with ESS #1 appearing on a SOC above 95%, yet the MPPT stops powering the house loads until I have dropped the SOC manually by 5-10%.

The thing is, after lowering the SOC manually, the MPPT produces enough to not only power the house, there is enough "spare" to keep the SOC at >95% for hours still.

Just needs a nudge to get out of this "state", ESS #1, if SOC is >95%.

Any hope of doing such via the system, instead of manually?

8 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
How new is this install? Pylons can do some strange things while they balance. If it is a new install, it is best left on "keep batteries charged" for the first 2 or 3 days so the BMS can get themselves sorted.

There were also some fixes in the more recent firmware updates that fixed a known issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

No Pylon's involved, BMS is happily balancing from 3.4v already per cell. Only happens with Min SOC set to > 95%, loads on PV available.

1636987630792.png1636987647366.png

Was sitting since 12:16 at 97% SOC ...

1636987671142.png

When system decided to drop MPPT:

1636987688892.png

I dropped the SOC, took a few minutes, down to 90%, as it is seen here, loads of PV available still:

1636987793736.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1636987630792.png (29.6 KiB)
1636987793736.png (29.6 KiB)
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Jaco Reinecke commented ·

What batteries are you using? That's quite a high voltage the last image is reporting.

If the voltage is above what the MPPT's are expecting they will throttle back until it drops.

0 Likes 0 ·
I'm running a 17 cell x 3.2v Lifepo4 bank, charging at max 3.45v per cell, hence the "high voltage", which is set on the inverter, a 5kva MPII, and MPPT, being a 250/100.
0 Likes 0 ·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke commented ·
Ignore me... I have a few more things to try out.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Jaco Reinecke commented ·
Please report back if you find anything. Good luck.
0 Likes 0 ·

It seems that setting the Min SOC manually to 100% does "something", as the ESS #1 is triggered. I think it may have to do with hysteresis. I don't know.

I have reverted to setting the system to Keep Charged, that works.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andrew Poluta avatar image Andrew Poluta commented ·
Please could I also get the answer..
0 Likes 0 ·