question

arjanbijker86 avatar image
arjanbijker86 asked

AC Coupled Quattro ESS not working (fixed)

hi All,

The moment I add an AC Coupled inverter to the output of a Quattro the ESS doesn't work as desired. It doesn't cycle the batteries at all.

We have enabled frequency shifting and measure the output of the grid tie inverter via a AC current sensor.

There is a grid meter in the setup and comms is OK

I'm on the latest firmware 469, all other devices on the latest firmware as well.

This problem is only with Quattro range of inverters and not the multiplus Inverters.

The Quattro inverter keeps on showing "Bulk" or "Absorb" mode and doesn't discharge the batteries at all. it will use only Grid at night.

ESS Relay test was successfull.

ESS setup is correct.

Parameters from lithium batteries are OK.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
arjanbijker86 answered ·

hi Daniel

thanks for your help.

The cause of not discharging:
Q9 of the faq:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual#faq

feed-in may be disabled when a grid code (like the German or Australian grid code) uses the aux1 input to disable feed-in, and aux1-in is used by something else (like an AC-sensor or a BMS), this way feed-in can be disabled. Simply un-check the option in the grid-code settings to prevent this.

We have not unchecked the 'aux1' option in grid code, -and- you we have a Current sensor connected to aux1...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

ESS setup is correct.

Then - by definition - you have no problem. ;-)

You do know that ESS can have various modes of operation. To me it seems like you have currently the "Keep batteries charged" moo.

Which may be "correct", but a different correct than what you would like to achieve. So maybe quantify which ESS setup you actually have.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @arjanbijker86

What ESS mode have you set?

2 |3000

arjanbijker86 answered ·

Operating mode is Optimized without battery Life.

I must restate it's only on the quattro's that I have this problem.

I need remote support please. I have done a lot of Victron installs > 100.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @arjanbijker86

The Quattro's work exactly the same as Multi's

I've sent you an email.

0 Likes 0 ·