question

lazza avatar image
lazza asked

CCGX not recognising Carlo Gavazzi meter EM24DINAV53DISX- help?

HI

I posted this in another post from last year where it appears a similar issue was found (see link below).. since no one has replied, I assume it got lost somewhere in all the comments. So:

I'm having a problem with a Carlo Gavazzi EM24DINAV53DISX- where the CCGX is simply not recognising meter. It's all connected up correctly, and have checked continuity of the data cables-. all fine. yellow in 41, orange in 42 and black in 43.

The RS485 to USB is a Victron cable, but like the top one in the photos from Robert1508 in the post: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/6199/energy-meter-not-recogniseddisplayed-on-color-cont.html

On the USB cable at the back of the CCGX,

previously said: "green light is periodically flashing, but red light is fixed solid" , apologies, that's wrong, both green and red lights are flashing together periodically for 12-20 blips.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Laz

ESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lazza avatar image lazza commented ยท

HI Forum

Just to say: PROBLEM RESOLVED! I'll explain exactly what the issue was, in case it may be of help to anyone else in the future.

Basically it looked initially, like the Victron RS485 to USB cable may have an issue- as I'd tested the 10m Cat6 UTP extension cable for continuity, so I sourced 2 more from other suppliers. The only other possibilities were a faulty Carlo Gavazzi meter or a faulty CCGX USB port, neither which seemed likely.

Here's how it panned out:

1. The same issue of zero communiation ocurred with the new RS485 to USB cables- both for the CCGX (which didnt see the Carlo Gavazzi) and in the EM2426Soft software on the computer, which came up with some odd error. Originally I thought that this was my computer with Windows 10. However we tried it on another computer with XP this time, it also produced a similar error.
  2. We then disconnected the Carlo Gavazzi and connected it directly to the computer (without the Cat6 UTP extension cable) and without any voltage cables or CTs , just 230V power. This time the computer did recognised the meter. We could therefore rule out the Victron RS485 to USB cable and the Carlo Gavazzi as the source of the problem.
  3. I had previously tested the contuity of the orange twisted pair used for the data A+ B- communication- I therefore had asssumed that the wires were fine. However, we tried using the blue pair this time- mainting the same GND wire. And lo and behold, the computer recognised the Carlo Gavazzi now -We then plugged the USB into the CCGX and to great joy- the CCGX recognised the meter too!

So in brief, the problem of zero communication between the Carlo Gavazzi and the CCGX (and computer software) was down to some issue with the twisted pair originally used on the Cat6 UTP extension cable. Phew!

45kVA ESS system now running nicely with 25kW of Fronius inverters on zero-feed, with Modbus TCP control,

Thanks for all inputs in assisting us in getting this issue resolved

Cheers

Lazza

0 Likes 0 ยท
3 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ยท

Hi

Yes both should flash as one is receive and send data.

So the CCGX won't recognize it? have you plugged it into the carlo gavizzi software to check it on a PC to check it operation and check that the comms port is set up OK etc.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi. That had occurred to me. Could you point me in the direction of the Carlo Gavazzi PC software? Does it use R485 to USB too?

0 Likes 0 ยท
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie lazza commented ยท

Hi

Yes it does use the USB interface, just use google to search for the software, that's what i did.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ยท
lazza avatar image lazza Rob Duthie commented ยท

Hi Rob.

Yeah. We did that today, the EM2426Soft programme. But it only works with XP or Vista and we've got Windows 10. All emulators failed too... Something to do with Microsoft .Net Framework.

Any suggestions? Any newer software available?

0 Likes 0 ยท

Hi

It works OK in win10 as that is all i have ever used to date.

They have a universal version available.

0 Likes 0 ยท
lazza avatar image lazza Rob Duthie commented ยท

And it was the same program EM2426Soft? ...

0 Likes 0 ยท

Hi

No it is universal program for all there controllers for programming settings etc.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ยท

Did you rotate the switch from the locked position to 1 or 2?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi. Yep. Tried both positions. Serial Address is set as 1 (menu 13) as required. It's a mystery

0 Likes 0 ยท
raymiller avatar image
raymiller answered ยท

Carlo Gavazzi Energy, power analyzers pdf's and software is located on this web page.

https://gavazziautomation.com/nsc/HQ/EN/energy_power_analyzers

You may need to scroll through the pages to find the particular energy meter. I found the ET340DINAV23XS1X on page 15 and the window 10 configuration software UCS.zip file.

With the configuration software, you can change the Modbus address for the default #1, but at this stage, I do not know if allows two meters on the one Modbus if the address is changed to #2.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks. The problem i was having was resolved some time ago, it turned out to be a problem with the extension cable used for the RS485. We used a UTP twisted pair, and after discussing with suppliers it turns out that these have been causing problems in general- it is actually better to use wires from separate twisted pairs apparently- not sure why?

0 Likes 0 ยท