question

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie asked

Re ESS setup with multiplus 2 with VE configure 3

Re ESS setup with mulitplus 2 with VE configure 3

1: to setup all the settings do you need a Venus unit to set the mode 2 and 3? as the VE config 3 won't do it.

2: I am using the AC2 output as is were my PV inverter is hooked up to as per 28/05/18 document.

3: I can't get it to charge at all during the day at all with full PV inverter power export back to the grid, it shows as a negative VA on the VE bus monitor, which is correct. so what conditions need to set to make it charge?

4: So at night time it wont self consumption just stuck on the grid input only. latest ver of VE config3 and inverter firmware etc Unit firmware is 2625430 and VE config3 90.04.206.

5: I have ask the dealer, they said they were hard to setup and didn't know enough about it, or help.

Export of settings of the unit
TAB: General
System frequency 50Hz
Shore current 2.0 A
Overruled by remote checked
Dynamic current limiter unchecked
State of charge when Bulk finished 85.0 %
Battery capacity 40 Ah
Charge efficiency 1.00
TAB: Grid
Country / grid code standard New Zealand: AS/NZS 4777.2:2015
LOM detection AC input 1 Type A (grid code compliant)
TAB: AS/NZS 4777 grid code settings
rise-in-voltage protection U> 248.0 V
Power ramp time 60 seconds
Enable DRM0 functionality unchecked
Fstop for sustained high frequency operation 52.00 Hz
Volt-Watt curve voltage V1 207.0 V
Volt-Watt curve level at V1 0 %
Volt-Watt curve voltage V2 220.0 V
Volt-Watt curve level at V2 100 %
Volt-Watt curve voltage V3 244.0 V
Volt-Watt curve level at V3 100 %
Volt-Watt curve voltage V4 255.0 V
Volt-Watt curve level at V4 100 %
TAB: Inverter
PowerAssist checked
Assist current boost factor 2.0
Inverter output voltage 230 V
Inverter DC shut-down voltage 37.20 V
Inverter DC restart voltage 43.60 V
Low DC alarm level 43.60 V
Do not restart after short-circuit (VDE 4105-2 safety) unchecked
enable AES checked
Load for starting AES mode 25 W
Offset for ending AES mode 46 W
AES type search mode
TAB: Charger
Enable charger checked
Weak AC input unchecked
Stop after excessive bulk unchecked
Lithium batteries unchecked
Storage mode checked
Use equalization (tubular plate traction battery curve) unchecked
Charge curve Adaptive + BatterySafe
Absorption voltage 57.60 V
Float voltage 55.20 V
Charge current 12 A
Repeated absorption time 1.00 Hr
Repeated absorption interval 7.00 Days
Maximum absorption time 8 Hr
TAB: Virtual switch
TAB: Usage
Virtual switch usage Do not use VS
TAB: Assistants
TAB: Assistant Configuration
ESS (Energy Storage System) (size:1632)
*) System uses Gel or AGM batteries
*) The battery capacity of the system is 40 Ah.
*) Sustain voltage during the first 24 hours of sustain 46.00 V.
Sustain voltage after 24 hours 50.00 V.
*) Cut off voltage for a discharge current of:
0.005 C= 48.00 V
0.25 C= 46.60 V
0.7 C= 45.60 V
2 C= 44.80 V
*) Inverting is allowed again when voltage rises 1.20 V above cut-off(0).
*) The solar converter will start reducing its output power at 50.20 Hz.
Output power will be reduced to minimum when the frequency is 52.70 Hz.
The converter will disconnect when the frequency is higher than 53.00 Hz.
*) Total installed PV inverter power is 2000 Watts.
Total installed PV panel power is 2000 Watts.
*) Relevant VEConfigure settings:
- Battery capacity 40 Ah.
- PowerAssist checked
- Lithium batteries unchecked
- Dynamic current limiter unchecked
- Storage mode checked

Total size of all assistants including the required
(hidden) system assistants is: 1705

ESS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Is your battery capacity really just 40Ah?

0 Likes 0 ·

Why is the solar inverter on AC out-2 rather than AC out 1?

Do you have an energy meter on the AC solar inverter?

0 Likes 0 ·
9 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

ESS systems require a Venus-device (either CCGX or VGX) your first question makes it sound like you do not have one?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

It is possible to charge a battery from an AC solar inverter without a Venus device, but not run an ESS system.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Please read the ESS manual, the instructions there are very clear in the first paragraph:

In the system, there must at least be one inverter/charger and also a Venus-device:

This is also covered in the Victron Agent training that is regularly offered to suppliers in New Zealand.

I will update the manual to also show a diagram as well as the text description. There are MANY possible configurations available in ESS, but they ALL include a Venus-device.

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi Guy i was not told that here, and said i could just use the VE config 3 only to program.

Also you can install the AC PV inverter on the AC outlet 2? as per diagram on page 8

of the unit as in the installation settings.

Because there is a internal AC current sensor on the AC in it will measure the current flowing in and out of the inverter.

At the moment i am using the Hub2 ver3 to use the battery mode and when the battery falls below 90% SOC the charger will kick in a work, which it does OK.

I have noticed that when the inverter is running on the battery and we have AC PV power going though the AC 2 outlet it does not register the grid feed power just zero current and power ,

this is because the Hub 2 software can't do this? But the ESS can do this.?

Why can't the ESS be used by the VE config3 ? limited function so why have it included as it does not work at all.

2 |3000

Hi, sorry to hear that you’ve been given wrong information. It’s really a fact: to run ESS, a Venus-device needs to be part of the system.

ESS is a complex topic as so many configuration options are possible, and from Victron side we don’t support untrained people trying to set it up.

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

Please find a local agent and ask if they have had Victron training and experience with ESS systems.

There are many good agents in New Zealand, who I have personally met and can give you good and accurate advice.

You could also contact Margreet Leeftink, the sales manager responsible for your area. salesaustralia@victronenergy.com

She can recommend you which dealer can best help you with this.

Otherwise: if anyone from the community can help you: also very welcome.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

You need VEConfigure3 to install the Assistant. VEConfigure3 is an installers tool.

You need the CCGX, or the Venus GX, because it needs to be part of a running ESS system.

Thats just the way it is.

As Guy said, please contact Margreet or another dealer. It’s really the best way to quickly get what you are looking for.

Not all our dealers specialize in all markets and types of systems.

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Yes it is only 40 Ah as a demo test site for clients.

It is AC2 as per diagram sheet comparison sheet for the multi grid 2 dated 28/05/18.

As the unit has a current sensor internal in the unit so it can measure current flowing in either direction etc.

i don't have a energy meter not required in this case.

The whole idea of this new unit is to be a hybrid to PV AC inverters i thought.

So it can charge batteries and self consume due the day and night? that what i was told it can do

Have i being sold the wrong unit or idea? I think i have, and Victron needs to get the facts rights.

In selling these units.

The local agent here in NZ said i was a hair puller to get it to work, i don't think they got it to go either as there engineer said. As a engineer my self, looks like the sofware can't control this function very well, or the software has flaws in it. And you can't program with a VE config3 software for that matter? this is what i have asked about.

As i want to sell the concept to my clients if can get it to work as it should.

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

I have only the USB MK3 VE config 3 to configure it, as i was told by the supplier, i don't need a CCGX to configure it.

As the VE configure 3 has a Assistance to configure the ESS, but not all the functions are there?

Need straight answers here to what is required to configure these units in the ESS modes etc.

This would have saved me many hours off testing and reprogramming the unit, if there was correct advise given?

Please advise, if the CCGX is the only true way to configue these units than the VE config 3 via a computer?

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi Guy

The agent was AEP Pacfic a main dealer.

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

That's all i needed to know, the dealer AEP Pacific advised it was not required to setup the ESS system and the VE Config3 would be OK to set it up.

As i have had being installing grid tied for over 20 years with Master Volt units. as they have basically left the market now? which is a shame. So trying another brand to sell the idea of backup grid tie with other units. Which if the CCGX does with no hassles i will sell the idea.

2 |3000