question

JF Seatern avatar image
JF Seatern asked

Discussion about changing VE.direct (BMV, MPPT) settings through WAN connection

1) OS & Software

As I understand it, changing settings on VE.direct items can only be done using VictronConnect via USB or Bluetooth.

VictronConnect app only exists for iOS, MacOS, Windows, Android NOT Linux :-(

Windows & MacOS provide easy remote connection and VictronConnect via USB

So I am thinking to use a Windows SBC computer to be remotely accessed via TeamViewer or other.

2) VE.direct electrical connection

Considering only USB / Serial wired connection; no bluetooth.

VE.direct is not a network protocol but a point to point protocol and needs to be connected to Venus CCGX to get information into the CCGX.

VE.direct items need to be disconnected from CCGX then connected to VE.direct <-> USB adapter to use VictronConnect.

Some 74LSxxx tri-state buffer/gates could be used to flip the VE.direct serial data between CCGX and VE.direct <-> USB adapter

Any thoughts ?

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery MonitorCCGX Color ControlVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @JF Seatern,

Thanks for asking. And I have some good answers :).

1. A Linux version of VictronConnect is coming. Note that it won't be officially supported, we don't have people skilled to help users with all sorts of Linux distro, and Bluez and etc etc issues that might show up. But at least its there soon, and people good with Linux will in most cases be able to use it. Follow the VictronConnect change log to find out.

2. We're soon launching a version of VictronConnect with which you can change settings of MPPTs and BMVs and so forth over WAN, as long as connected to a GX Device. Its currently already in beta; see that same change log.

best ,Matthijs

1578479932938.png (334.4 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether commented ·

I tried out the latest beta on my Android device now and it works over VRM! Very impressive!

0 Likes 0 ·
JF Seatern avatar image JF Seatern commented ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

Thank you for the news.

Just to clarify:

I am looking for a solution to manage installations located a continent away at times.

At the present:
VE.Bus devices can be upgraded/configured remotely through VRM upload/VEConfig/download.
VE.Direct devices need a local presence and VictronConnect through various local connection methods. Awkward but works.

So based on "2. We're soon launching a version of VictronConnect with which you can change settings of MPPTs and BMVs and so forth over WAN, as long as connected to a GX Device...",
The latest version of VictronConnect would allow to connect (read & modify settings) to VE.Direct devices if those are connected to a GX (CCGX) device.

My question is: Will the latest version of VictronConnect be able to 'discover' VE.Direct devices through an internet (WAN) connection - not ethernet (LAN) connection.
Does it uses the the VRM portal to do so?

JF

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ JF Seatern commented ·

the latest BETA version of VictronConnect can indeed remotely discover VE.Direct devices. It uses internet, the VRM Portal, as well as a GX device that needs to be local with the VE.Direct device, to do so.

0 Likes 0 ·