question

donmac avatar image
donmac asked

BMV700 blank screen - will display momentarily when pressing setup

I installed a BMV700, BT dongle and shunt a couple weeks ago in my camper and everything worked great. Monitor read fine, connected easily to iphone, all was good. I'm preparing to head south after the holidays so have left the camper powered up on shore power.

I just went in camper to check things out and the meter was blank. If I hit select it will scroll through readings quickly then go blank. Bluetooth dongle was reading an error light and would not reconnect.

Factory battery monitor in camper reads 100%. Unplugged shore power, no change. Checked battery wiring including fuse for BMV and all looks good. Did a reset of the meter (pressing setup and select for 3 seconds) still no luck...

Suggestions?

bmv 700
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

have you checked the cable connection between shunt and BMV?

The device can react pretty funny if the connection is not good.

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
donmac avatar image donmac markus ♦♦ commented ·

I had, but just double checked. Disconnected and reconnected cable to/from shunt to BMV on both ends (left disconnected BT dongle for now). Disconnected and reconnected power to shunt and fuse. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ donmac commented ·

Is it working now, or still not?

0 Likes 0 ·
donmac avatar image donmac markus ♦♦ commented ·

still not working

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ donmac commented ·

:o(

I revert to comment, to leave the question unanswered...

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Sorry to say it sounds like a faulty unit. Take it back to the place of purchase and have them test it and replace if necessarily.

They will likely test by removing the screen part and trying again within a meter or two of the shunt with a new cable and power supply lead. If the same result, replace.

It could also be a bad fuse connection, but it sounds like you have been thorough with your inspection and test.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

donmac avatar image donmac commented ·

Groan... Ordered on Amazon... Apparently sold through 'Eden Products', trying to contact them. I leave in a couple weeks for a month long RV trip, hoping to get resolved... Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

This product is extremely robust, but not everything is perfect.

Before I joined Victron I personally sold 100’s without a failure.

Most of the time buying a single part online can be easier. Given it is very new still, they should be able to quickly provide a replacment, though I suppose the holidays may add a delay.

Edit: While waiting for the supplier for ultimate resolution,

Could you find another comms cable to test with?

Also post some pictures of the installation?

0 Likes 0 ·
donmac avatar image donmac Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I just went out to take pictures, checked the meter first and it's working... sigh... hadn't touched any wires or moved trailer since it was not working (yesterday) .... did not bother taking pictures... still concerned, will check it a couple times each day to see if it happens again... concerned the meter is flakey..

0 Likes 0 ·
donmac avatar image donmac donmac commented ·

A few hours after that last post it was not working again... still waiting for seller to get back to me...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic