question

daniel1976 avatar image
daniel1976 asked

Multiplus II GX with ESS is stuck in float mode at 80-83% SOC

Hi Community,

I run ESS with Battery Life mode. I have set minimum SOC to 70%. After some days with little sunshine the active SOC limit is at 80%.

It alternates between discharging to 80% and charging in "float mode" and it charges very slowly even if there is a lot of PV power.

This way I am stuck between 80% and 83% SOC.

The lead battery voltage is at 51,6V (12,9V) which seems to correspond to 100% SOC.

So I assume that the battery is actually fully charged and the Multiplus GX battery monitor is just wrong currently. How can I get the battery monitor back to 100% ?

Thank you for your hints.

Best regards

Daniel

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi Daniel.

If using the Multi's SOC, you can tune it within VE Config. In the General tab you'll see Battery Monitor. Maybe set 'State of charge when Bulk finished' to (say) 95%, even higher. This is a much coarser soc derivation than a fully-fledged BMV, but it suffices for many.

Maybe you're using your batts as a ups, rather than cycling them. So sure, it won't push high current in Float mode..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daniel1976 avatar image
daniel1976 answered ยท

Hi John,

thank you. Yes, I am cycling. The issue seems to be that currently the SOC is only 76% but the actual battery voltage causes the Multi to run in Float mode (54.2 V and 9A in this moment)

This way, getting the SOC display back to 100% will take a while...

Maybe the only way is to modify the VEConfig Battery Monitor settings as you mention:

Shouldn't setting the battery capacity temporarily to a very low Ah value help to get the SOC number climbing very quickly ?

Thanks

Daniel

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

Yeh, little point 'temporarily' doing anything. If you really want to use SOC, no point mucking about, it'll likely drift anyway without regular 'syncs'. I don't bother with soc personally, but that's just me. Tis a calculated figure, and if to be useful needs to be set up correctly. No shortcuts in the literature. :)

Sorry, but your figures don't mean much without knowing your whole system specs. I consider my Pb's 100% when in 55.2V float, and the charge A is ~1% of total batt Ah (after consideration of loads).

0 Likes 0 ยท