question

Christoph Blank avatar image
Christoph Blank asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 positioning (close to battery)?

Hi there,

I just learned that the Orion XS now uses the Voltage of the Smart Shunt for compensation on the output. This means it should be put close to the starter battery.

I couldn't find any information for my MPPT 100/50 though, and wonder where to place it - close to the panels or close to the battery?

Can it also use the Smart Shunt? Or should it be put close to the house battery?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

Place it close to the battery. First, the battery voltage is lower than the panel voltage, so the current between the MPPT and the battery is higher then between the panels and the MPPT. So it makes sense to reduce the cable lenght on this side. And second pioint is, that near to the battery the temperature comensation works better as the ambient temperature is almost the same and will not differ that much as next to the panels.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Presumably it would be a better idea to use the shunt's temp probe for accurate compensation, rather than the internal guesstimate that is used by a charger.

2 Likes 2 ·
jetlag avatar image jetlag nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Right, use the smart shunt's temperature if possible. Therefor you need to set up the smart network.

0 Likes 0 ·