question

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman asked

Victron MPPT interference with VHF in repeater station

“we have experienced massive interference on the VHF frequency band in the past generated from the Victron MPPT solar regulators.”

Can anyone comment on this ?

MPPT SmartSolarradiovhf
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Ask Victron for an EMC certificate!

At least in Europe, devices which produce a frequency like a buck-inverter need to comply with the EMC standards. I assume, Victron products have this certification.

However, I have personally never experienced such thing in the last 20 years except with some (not all) cheap products from Asia...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@Warwick Bruce Chapman Below is a link on the topic and some suggestions to counter it. Blog is just a nice insight into Victron's testing facilities.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/6205/rf-noise-from-150-60-solar-charger.html

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2016/07/03/victron-energy-new-emc-test-facility/

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

For the most part I have seen/heard that it is tardy wiring cause issues. Anything with not so great contact produces noise.

Once helped troubleshoot a problem with radio interference found that a loose connection in the AC wiring was the actual noise producing issue - not the mppt. And another case I read where the location of the AC wiring bundle in relation to the equipment was the issue.

Not knowing that ferrite beads are not all equal ... Liberal use of the wrong ones helps not at all.

And then there is the reasoning - don't they get used on boats all the time out at sea? Surely then they would have no marine application since radio interference can be life threatening?

1 comment
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
You are right, because I am in Estonia and have in the last 2 years installed more then 100 Victron devices (Solar Chargers, Inverters, etc...) and I am near the Russian border where NATO Facilities have sensible Radar- and Radio Equippment.

IF Victron would have failed the EMC tests, then I would have already invaded my farm by US Forces and whoever!

And yes, people have problems between Johvi and Narva to get solar panels on the roof, because the NATO Facilities fear, all this GTIs can interfer the surveilance if the European/Russian border.

Hence it IS a wireing problem and also the Solarpanes themself can interfer.

I would not blame Victron if I have no 100% proof.

Note: I am OpenSource/Linux Developer and if something goes wron, I blame always first myself, because it could be, that I have done the crappy job! ;-)

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic