question

dognose avatar image
dognose asked

grid setpoint in Mode 2/3

For a tiny script, I would need to dynamically modify the grid set point. However, it seems that ESS is not accepting user-setting values on dbus, as long as it's running in ESS-Mode 2.

Switching to complete external control is something I would to avoid for this tiny script to make it as portable as possible.

Just to clearify, following value would be the "correct" one to alter?

/Settings/CGwacs/AcPowerSetPoint
ESSess settings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Yip, that appears static as well, matches what I have set.

I would be careful relying on this, as the change is not immediate, the inverter ramps up and down, so firing new values every second isn't going to be helpful.

It will be a trade off.screenshot-2024-04-30-at-144741.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dognose avatar image dognose commented ·

It now started working "out of sudden" to accept values send to '/Settings/CGwacs/AcPowerSetPoint' while remaining in ESS Mode 2. (And the docu also says this is possible in ESS Mode 2 - dunno why it didn't work earlier)

Yeah, I don't need to have the inverter to react within nanoseconds on changes, also I won't peform "big steps" there, it's main purpose is to reach a "steady" Energy flow from DC to AC:

When enabling Feed-In, the MPPTs run at full throttle, because you want to feed in, apparently. However that means, that the battery is now picking up whatever it can, even if you would prefer a lower charge current.

So, my script will now monitor the battery charge current, and when it exceeds my "feel-well" value of 210 amps, it will start to instruct the inverters to actively grid feed by manipulating the grid set point, so they can drain away another 100ish amps, leading to "lower pressure" for the batteries.

(The system could handle all the charge current well, I just don't want to have the batteries run at their limit, when there is 14 hours time to charge during summer)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic