question

3dclassen avatar image
3dclassen asked

MPPT - overcharging / Cyrix Li Charge - not disconnecting

Dear Community,

I do have a problem in my campervan with overcharing.

My setup looks pretty much like this:
setup-overview.jpg

As I installed it, all worked fine for about 2 years.

But in the last months I am getting an overcharge notification from VRM. Normally the VICTRON Cyrix Li Charge should open (= disconnect) if the battery is full (MPPT or ORION, doesn´t matter). But this for some reason doesn´t work anymore.

I checken all cables from BMS to Cyrix, measured potentials and couldn´t find anything not working correctly. Also setup from MPPT didn´t change and should be working.

Here is a more detailed view of BMS and Cyrix:

cyrix-detail.jpg

If I unplug the connection "85" from Cyrix it´s clicking and if I connect it again it clicks also. So I presume that the Cyrix works properly.

Does anybody have a clue what could be the problem? Help is really much appreciated, as I have to disable the MPPT every 3 days, which is not a solution ;)

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
...Daniel

MPPT SmartSolar
setup-overview.jpg (566.8 KiB)
cyrix-detail.jpg (351.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@3dclassen

The rela question is why is there overcharge.

Aren't the components programmed to stop charging? It should not be discounting regularly.

When is the overcharge happening? Engine and solar together? After a long drive?

I would start with checking settings. Orion particularly if it is happening while driving. Check that excessive bulk protection is on.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3dclassen avatar image 3dclassen commented ·

Hi @Alexandra ,
Thanks for the reply!

The overcharging is first of all happening with solar via MPPT 100/50. I didn´t change a thing in the settings for the MPPT, so I am wondering.
In my understanding the Cyrix turns of charging, when the BMS sends the information, that the battery is full. So I didn´t expect to make settings at the MPPT.

Are there settings in the MPPT to stop charging, when the battery is full?

Thanks in adcance...Daniel

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ 3dclassen commented ·
It is interesting. Have you down any firmware updates recently?

Does the battery appear on the GX with the MPPT? It will control the system in two ways. 1. Through DVCC 2. Physical disconnect if all else fails. (Cyrix)

The battery should be controlling the mppt through DVCC. And yes there is settings on the MPPT as well, there is a preset for Victron batteries so it is easy.

Is DVCC on?

0 Likes 0 ·
3dclassen avatar image
3dclassen answered ·

I have to check tomorrow if DVCC is On. I can´t check this via VRM, right?
AND: Could you tell me where to set DVCC up, in VICTRON Connect at the MPPT?

I did all firmware updates always when I log in, so it can be possible that the MPPT (actual FW: v1.63), the Battery (VICTRON) and all other Devices (Cerbo) got an update recently. Can´t tell exactly when.
As I do have only VICTRON devices, the MPPT is set to LiFePo and all is more or less default...

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@3dclassen

Alexandra sent you a link re DVCC (the underlined bit).

Remote Console via VRM will do it.

0 Likes 0 ·
3dclassen avatar image
3dclassen answered ·

Hi @JohnC ,
I saw the link in @Alexandra´s Post. I also understand the topic ;)
But I don´t know how to read out the remote console if DVCC is on or off...

Watching the remote console in the MPPT tab looks weird for my eyes:
vrm-remote-mppt.pngBut I can´t change any settings there...?

Can you tell me where to find the DVCC settings?

vrm-remote-mppt.png (26.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
1712220811535.png (32.1 KiB)
3dclassen avatar image
3dclassen answered ·

THANK YOU VERY MUCH - found it ;)

As @Alexandra expected, it´s Off. The weird thing is, that it worked perfectly before...for some reason something changed.
vrm-remote-dvcc.pngShould I turn DVCC "On"?
I do have a VICTRON LiFePo4 Battery with 200Ah and an external BMS.

vrm-remote-dvcc.png (28.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@3dclassen

Switch it on. Is the BMS connected to the GX?

The battery has more say over the MPPTs actions when it is on. Then you will see controlling BMS is the Victron.

Yeah lots of background things have changed in code to make way for new features. One of the main reasons not to update if your system is working the way you want it to.

0 Likes 0 ·
3dclassen avatar image
3dclassen answered ·

It´s switched on, thanks for the advice!

The BMS is connected to the Multi-Plus (which is switched Off at the moment), connected to the "VE-Bus Mains Detector", which goes back to the Cerbo.

Would it be better to connect the BMS directly to the Cerbo and bypassing the Multi-Plus?

2 |3000