question

Shane Granger avatar image
Shane Granger asked

Feature Request: An interactive tool to help with Victron system design

When the opportunity arose for me to equip our 128-year-old historic vessel Vega with a Victron charger / inverter I was elated. Victron takes great pains to create and market good solid equipment which can be depended upon for years of trouble free service. Hats off to a great team. Each individual module comes with clear instructions on how it is to be installed. The problems arise when trying to plan or, in my case, install a system which requires, or perhaps not, several integrated elements. Try as I will I could not find pages suggesting complete systems and the elements needed for each. Example: does the MultiPlus require a V.net battery monitor module between it and the Blue Power control panel? The MultiPlus has all the same connections as the V.net battery control unit. May I suggest an interactive page on the Victron site where an interested client can "construct" their new system, see what is required and how it would be connected? Input power sources available etc and get back a visual of what is needed and how those parts would be connected. Perhaps even the ability to print out a final diagram. I see this as a great marketing tool for dealers to use when planning with a client and as a tool to attract and retain DIY clients. The technical advantages are obvious.

feature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Vegalll, thanks. Yes we're working on something similar.

Though, to have it all interactive is not so simple.

For now, please check here: https://www.victronenergy.com/markets/marine

It has the schematics. What is does not do (yet) is explain the different solutions for, for example, battery monitoring. Instead it just links to one of the many types of battery monitors we have. Showing the options and explaining the differences is the next step.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Shane Granger answered ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) thanks for the reply and link. I understand my concept would not be a simple front end job, but feel it would make a superb marketing tool, well worth the time and effort. Potential clients want to know what Victron can do for them in an easy to understand manner. How can they integrate solar, wind, generators and shore power as an example. What would that system look like and what would be required. For now the client has a multitude of choices, but no clear guidance on what would work best as an integrated system. Keep in mind most of your potential clients have only a rudimentary understanding of electronics and schematics. They want to say, 'Ok, this is what I want to have. How do I make it happen?' If, Victron is the only company providing them an easy way to plan their system, guess who will get the sale.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes I agree it would be nice. And is the long term goal we’re working towards.

Note that also there are many dealers and distributors out there that are very happy to help on choosing the right components; also for a DYI install.

Especially for more complicated systems: I don’t see a complete interactive system appearing; there will always be a human advice needed, and wiring diagram, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Shane Granger answered ·

BTW @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) I do wish one of your techies could give me a hand with this weird amps out reading from my Blue Power panel. I posted two questions but no response.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, I answered one, and deleted the other one.

Are you sure about using VE.Net?

If this is all new equipment I’d recomment using a GX device and a Lynx Shunt VE.Can or BMV battery monitor. Not a Blue Power Panel, they’re near end of life.

(I know this advise might be too late, but I decided to give it anyway)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.