question

Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc asked

MultiPlusII GX canbus Interface

I am looking for Clarification on the MultiplusII GX Caus interface. Some Pictures show it as VE.CAN, some others as BMS.Can.
Documentation List it as a BMS.CAN

So

Q1) Is the Documentation accurate and the Ports are always defined as BMS.CAN (500 kbds)?

Q2) If the unit is a Full featured GX, we should be able to Switch the port to VE.CAN (250kbds). Can we?

We need the VE.CAN as our batteries are using it and we also plan to use some Skylla..

multipluss ii
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

As far as i know or found it is only BMS CAN

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

The manual states that the only BMS that can be connected directly to a Multiplus II GX is the Lynx Smart BMS. All other CANBUS BMSs need to be connected via a Cerbo.

5 comments
2 |3000

duivert avatar image duivert commented ·
Thats not true, al lot more battery’s with bms can are compatible with the right cable (like pylontech battery’s)
0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 duivert commented ·

I didn't say it was true, I said "The manual states":

"Compatible BMS-Can Lithium Batteries Compatible BMS-Can lithium batteries can be used with MultiPlus-II GX however it is a requirement that those batteries to be connected via the BMS-Can port of the GX device (such as the Cerbo GX), and not to the MultiPlus-II GX communications interface directly"

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert delf67 commented ·

The dutch version of the manual states something different: (translated)

4.1.2. BMS-Can Connections The BMS-Can connection allows connecting compatible 500 kbps CAN bus BMS batteries. VE.Can products such as Victron MPPT Solar Chargers or a Lynx Shunt VE.Can are NOT supported.

I’ve got pylontech battery’s connected directly to the multiplus 2 GX BMS can

0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 duivert commented ·
I guess some work, some don't, so maybe they just cover themselves by saying they don't work? Or it's a ploy to sell more Cerbos? I always thought the point of a Multi GX was so that you didn't need a Cerbo too.
0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert delf67 commented ·

Thats exactly what a GX device does, replace a separate cerbo

Only cerbo’s have a few more connections you will not find on a GX device

0 Likes 0 ·
vincegod avatar image
vincegod answered ·

I have just come across this problem as I wanted to connect 2x 150/100 MPPT’s via CAN and older Multiplus II GX do not support VE.CAN (only VE.BMS). Today I received an Innomaker USB2CAN adaptor. Plugged it in, connected the 2x MPPT’s to it and “bobs your uncle” it works with no messing.

https://www.inno-maker.com/product/usb-can/

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic