question

308systems avatar image
308systems asked

MPPT 100/30 solar controller switching OFF

I have a racing trailer with the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100v/30a solar controller(with fully updated firmware) connected to 3 Renogy 100w 12v rooftop solar panels in parallel, and charging 2 Interstate Batteries 98 amp hour deep cycle batteries. The batteries are connected to a Renogy 3000 w DC-AC inverter to power lights inside the trailer. The batteries are also connected to a Renogy 40 amp dc/dc charge controller which allows charging from my truck generator.

Initially when I turned everything on 3 weeks ago, the Victron solar controller worked fine and the panels were showing 21-ish volts coming into the controller and the controller was bulk charging the 12.4v batteries at about 9.8 amps.
Strangely, over the next 3 weeks I have experienced multiple times where the controller is in the OFF state even though it is mid day full sun and the battery is at 12.0v or below???

I also noticed just a couple days ago that that everything was running fine and the controller was in a float charge state. I then turned on the Renogy 3000 watt inverter to power some AC lights inside the trailer and I noticed after turnimg the inverter on that the Victron controller state had switched to OFF from float...???? This was during full midday sunshine.

I've also noticed that the controller will go into an OFF state with the battery at low charge(11v) and then not turn back on, and then randomly within the next 24 hour period turn back on and when I come back to the trailer it seems to be working properly...Help!!!!

I need to get this set up so the Victron controller is reliably bulk or float charging the batteries during daylight sunshine hours, and also with or without the DC-AC inverter turned.
Thanks!

MPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Please attach a screen shot of your battery settings and the first screen of the Victron connect screen for the MPPT

Also when it's not charging/off, there's a white question, why is the MPPT not charging. Click on that, what does it say?

1 Like 1 ·
0 Answers