question

schradinski avatar image
schradinski asked

mppt 150/100 error 33 input high voltage

i am getting confused by error 33. in the history the values of U max are described as too high on some days, and i'd get the orange dot, whenever U max was over 150 V. but when using the app on a smartphone, checking "trends" for detailed curves, and going back to check the "error days" i'd get different values. never over 145 V.

i am kinda scared that the errors could damage the mppt, but which values can i trust here? the installer company keeps saying "doesnt matter". and i would only try and force them to reconfigure the wiring if i am sure that its really necessary.

it is possible though, we have 2 x 3 panels, could be changed to 3 x 2, if that was important.

victron.jpg

e80172ee585cd91fe0a3a1dfcf6965ff2a52b49f9ffd3e50bf.png

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Al avatar image
Al answered ·

150v is a hard limit for that mppt, it can be damaged if going over it, and will not be covered under Victron warranty. It should not have been installed like that. Either your panels need rewiring, or you need a 250v mppt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The graphs show voltage averaged over a period which hides peaks.

Doesn't matter is an excuse to avoid the rewire. Your warranty does not cover incorrect wiring leading to over voltage.

Use the Victron MPPT calculator to check and if you're over the limit get it fixed asap.

2 |3000

schradinski avatar image
schradinski answered ·

thank you for your replies. i tried to use the mppt calc tool. but since i am not a pro but a customer only, i was not able to do it. maybe its easy for sombody. i will post the specs of 1 of the 6 panels here and would be more than grateful for somebodys help with the calculation.

i just need an "official" argument that i can bring to the seller / installer, in order to ask fo a rewiring of the maybe incorrect work. panelz-salobrena.jpg

panelz-salobrena.jpg (255.6 KiB)
2 |3000

schradinski avatar image
schradinski answered ·

the MPPT is SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 150/100

2 |3000

schradinski avatar image
schradinski answered ·

forgot: 24 v system. so i tried to calculate 2 ways as follows. this means it NEEDS to be rewired with our 150 / 100 MPPT, because the existing 3 series / 2 strings is too high. am i right?

bildschirmfoto-2024-03-23-um-165102.jpgbildschirmfoto-2024-03-23-um-165049.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

Al avatar image Al commented ·

You beat me to it, but only designing for 0°C is not normal for European countries, Germany?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Al commented ·
@schradinski

You are correct 3s is way too high.

3 in series is too high even at 20°C.

49.3v VOC is the giveaway. That's at 25°C. You are definitely overvoltage on the input. Change it to 2s 3p as soon as possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image
Al answered ·

I think you meant your system is currently wired 3S2P (3 series, 2 parallel)

If that's the case you will hit 166v array VOC, way over the 150/100 limit as described in the datasheet, in that case you should use a 250/100, but looks like you could use the smaller 250/60 with a bit of oversizing.

screenshot-2024-03-23-154804.jpg

If the installers rewire it correctly for the 150/100 MPPT you have then you could have 2P3S and max VOC will be a safe 110V

150v.jpg

It seems the installer either wired incorrectly by mistake and does not want to admit it, or they did not read the manuals or run any basic calculations, or they thought oversizing from a 60A to the 100A model would also allow over voltage, but that's not the case.

The manuals and datasheet all explicitly state the differences of the MPPT's: "Maximum PV array Voc voltages ranging from 75V up to 250V" - Each MPPT datasheet has it's own limits, the correct MPPT needs to be selected for the panels and wiring arrangement. If you need to show the installer, please download the manual for your MPPT specifications and show them the free Victron MPPT calculator.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-and-SmartSolar-charge-controller-overview-EN.pdf

150v.jpg (124.2 KiB)
2 |3000

schradinski avatar image
schradinski answered ·

muchas gracias !

2 |3000