question

b14 avatar image
b14 asked

VE-Bus / Multiplus losing connection every few hours

Hello :-)

My ESS Setup 1xMultiplus 5000 (FW 510), RPI 4, VenusOS 3.30, MK3-USB, Factory made UTP-Cable 2m long) was running fine for one year without any issues. Since a few days the ESS stops working about once a day (sometimes every few hours, sometimes 24h in between) without error message. The reason seems to be that the connection to the Multiplus is lost in some way. Under Multiplus -> Device -> Connected "No" is stated.

A reboot solves the issue everytime. When the connection is lost the command "usb-devices" lists the MK3-Adapter as running, so seems to be not an issue at the linux/usb side. Of course i checked all cable connections and the cable (rj-45 tester during shaking the cable).

Is there a way to check which component is the problem? Could only be the MK3, the UTP-Cable or the Multiplus in my opinion.

Thanks a lot in advance

Johannes :-)

P.S.: Is there a reason why this cable should be unshielded? Would it be a problem to test with SFTP?

ESS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Or for some reason the pi is shutting down power to the usbs.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
a power ground fault on the multi can sometimes cause this issue. IF there is any significant resistance in the -ve power lead or terminations to the battery, or where the cerbo ( venus GX device) ground is connected, any inverter current causes a small volt drop. This should be <<100mV. If this gets to the order of a volt or so, through a lose, dirty or corroded connection, this can block the communications with a Mk3. If the voltage drop gets too high, it can permanently damage the interface.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers