question

dushta avatar image
dushta asked

Smart energy meter for measuring Energy consumed while charging Electric Vehicle

I am working on a project. My requirement is to measure the actual electricty used to charge the EV and charge the customer based on the electricty used. I am thikning of using Energy Meter VM-3P75CT together with Cerbo GX. How can i get the documents on the API? Also is it possible to pull the energy consummption details for each customer? Please note: I will be controlling the EV Charger by RFID cards. It is only usable when the RFID card is tapped on the rfid reader. I will be using relay for this.

api dc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Dushta

You can probably use energy meter to monitor consumption on the EV charger but not sure you can monitor user specific data.

ie you could have EV charger 1 monitored using energy meter (in AC Loads mode) but this would give you total usage on charger and not user specific data.

I'm not aware of a way of implementing the customer specific data natively in Cerbo.

I would suggest maybe using an external bit of infrastructure to get this specific data.

For example i would use cerbo to record overall consumption data. Then maybe use node red or something similar that when a charging session starts node red queries your chargers api to find out which user is signed in and then records that along with the energy meter data in some database. (Or at the very least just records user's details and timestamp so you can reconcile the information to the energy meter data stored on VRM).

Given users couldn't swap without ending a charging session and starting another then you should be ok to do it this way.

What EV charger are you using?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dushta avatar image
dushta answered ·

Hi @matt1309,

Thank you for your feedback. EV charger is already installed at the residential building. They are using BMW Wallbox at the moment.

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
If there's a way to get user data from RFID by querying BMW wallbox api then my above approach should work. Not familiar with that charger to know if such an api exists.

Just need a way to work out user from RFID. If that's possible then the above would work.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic