question

mfred68 avatar image
mfred68 asked

Can you use a second multiplus as a power assist

I'm planning my victron setup, and am thinking of buying two multiplus ii units.

My normal power draw is usually well below 5kw but at times when I do cooking and switch on the immersion heater, it would for short periods go over 5kw in which case power assist would kick in. So is it possible to use a second multiplus ii just to kick in when demand is higher than what the first inverter can output? I'm thinking that this would reduce idle consumption if the 2nd unit is off most of the time.

multipluss ii
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

This would double your idle consumption, as then you'd have two units idling.

MultiPlus units (including the -II) can be installed in parallel "stack" configuration for increased output, in accordance with the manual (and all associated documents linked therein) here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

But, as mentioned, this would double your idle consumption rather than lower it, since obviously both units must be "On" in order for the system to function.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mfred68 avatar image mfred68 commented ·
Can the second inverter not be used like a generator, meaning in an off state, no idling, until the first multiplus triggers it to switch on when demand is over 5kw?
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ mfred68 commented ·
Read through the manual and associated documents linked above for the required installation and configuration procedures of a parallel VE.Bus installation!

The issue, of course, is that an inverter/charger is not a generator. For that, perhaps it would be better to install a generator.

0 Likes 0 ·
bipedalprimate avatar image
bipedalprimate answered ·

Off Grid Garage did something like this but with a Phoenix inverter.

Connect any Inverter to the Multiplus in SERIES. Here's the comprehensive test and set up!

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Which multiplus are you considering and in what setup?

Power assist supplements grid by using the batteries. If you're planning on a 5kW multi, you may find it has sufficient reserve.

Also be aware of the difference between Watts and VA ratings. It very much depends on your loads and with poor loads, output may be less than you expect.

Probably best to discuss with an authorised dealer.

2 |3000

bartrs avatar image
bartrs answered ·

I used this setup (2nd Multi as Generator) for over a year and worked perfectly.
Recently I programmed both Multi's to parallel and like it more than in series.
A parallel setup is much quieter, as they share the loads. And visibility in VRM is better.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic