question

Eric avatar image
Eric asked

ESS Not working issue

Dashboard.pngDevice List 2.pngDevice List.pngESS 1.pngESS 2.pngFirmware.pngMultiplus 2.1.pngESS 2.pngI have a Victron Multiplus-II 48/3000/35-32 with a VM-3P75CT HQ2338Y26GG External Current sensor, Before I installed the new current sensor the system worked in scheduled charge mode. Now the Multi will charge the battery from solar or grid but not supply power when there is no PV, The firmware’s are all up to date. I have included screen shots of many of the settings “FYI”. Can anyone suggest something that I could have overlooked?

ESS
dashboard.png (51.9 KiB)
device-list-2.png (49.0 KiB)
device-list.png (25.8 KiB)
ess-1.png (51.9 KiB)
ess-2.png (46.1 KiB)
firmware.png (43.2 KiB)
multiplus-21.png (44.5 KiB)
ess-2.png (46.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Eric avatar image
Eric answered ·

Thanks duivert, I think I was not clear enough, the multi will not provide power to any load at all now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Have you configured the meter for single phase operation?

1709626408201.png

1709626408201.png (61.8 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Eric avatar image Eric commented ·
Hi ejrossouw Hi have done that thanks

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Eric commented ·
@Eric What is the purpose of the new meter if things worked before and where in relation to the PV and inverter is it installed? Is the PV on the ACIN side?
0 Likes 0 ·
Eric avatar image Eric ejrossouw commented ·

Dashboard.JPGDevice list.JPG

I Installed the new meter because previously I had to manually turn on the the charger as it would not automatically charge only when PV was present, it would always charge the battery if the battery was not fully charged. I was told that I need this new type of current sensor to solve the problem Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
dashboard.jpg (64.2 KiB)
device-list.jpg (24.2 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Eric

Are you trying to only supply power to loads before the inverter (not on the inverter output)?

8 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

If the loads are parallel to AC IN, and not on AC1 OUT, the inverter AC output in use needs to be enabled in ESS.

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

ESS manual states something else about this:

4.3.3. Inverter AC output in use

Setting this to 'Disabled' hides the AC-out graphic in the overview pane. Use this in systems where there is nothing connected to the output of the Multi or Quattro, which is typical for certain grid-parallel systems in Western Europe.

0 Likes 0 ·
Eric avatar image Eric nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

@nickdb I am connected to AC1 out , I am trying to use PV power first, if there is a surplus I want to charge my Battery. I want to use may battery when there is no PV I want to use the grid when there is no PV or Battery is depleted.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Eric commented ·

@Eric

Your inverter output in use is switched off. (ESS1.png)

Is anything wired there at all? That is what is supported by the battery during grid outage.

Basically you have told the system there is nothing on the output. You need to switch that on if you want to power loads when the grid fails or power assist anything on the output and it must be connected there.

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert commented ·
i asked him the same answer and solution to it, but somehow my post is gone... :)
0 Likes 0 ·

@Alexandra I am trying to use PV power first, if there is a surplus I want to charge my Battery. I want to use may battery when there is no PV I want to use the grid when there is no PV or Battery is depleted.

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert Eric commented ·
then you will have to turn on inverter AC output in use in ESS settings!

thats off in your ess 1 picture
1 Like 1 ·

Dashboard.JPG

This is how the system is running now. Unfortunately it still does not provide power when there is no PV

0 Likes 0 ·
dashboard.jpg (64.2 KiB)
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

Q9: Why are my loads powered by the grid instead of battery or solar? Check list in case loads are being powered from the mains/grid, while expected to be powered from the battery: First of all, check that the system is not preventing discharge because the battery state of charge is below a limit. See the Chapter 6 - Controlling depth of discharge [16]. Secondly, in case of a Managed Lithium battery, ie a battery with a CAN-bus connection, check that the battery hasn't disabled discharging: see the battery entry in the Device List menu, and then go to the Parameters submenu and see the Discharge Current Limit (DCL) entry. In case that shows zero, the battery is telling the system to not discharge any further. Thirdly, feed-in may be disabled because the ESS Relay test is still pending: the inverter/charger (ie Multi/Quattro) in an ESS System needs to perform a relay test before it can use battery power. During the test, it needs to run in inverter mode shortly (~1 minute), and needs enough spare battery capacity to do so. In case the battery voltage is too low while connecting to the grid, the system switches on in pass-through and/or battery charging mode, and, while waiting for the battery to be recharged sufficiently (to do the relay test), it will not feed-in. Meaning that it will not convert DC to AC power, and hence will not power the loads from ESS design and installation manual Page 29 FAQ the battery, and similarly will also not convert any power coming from Solar Chargers to AC: will not power loads with DC-coupled solar power either. And the same: it will not sell excess DC-coupled solar power back to the grid. The relay test will be performed once either the battery voltage has been recharged above 14/28/56 volt, or when the battery has been recharged to above 20% SOC. To check if a system is in this state, see the ESS Relay test entry in the Advanced submenu of the Multi/Quattro entry in the device list. It will show either Pending, or Completed. Note that that menu entry is only visible for systems with an ESS Assistant installed. Fourthly, feed-in may be disabled when a grid code (like the German or Australian grid code) uses the aux1 input to disable feed-in, and aux1-in is used by something else (like an AC-sensor or a BMS), this way feed-in can be disabled. Simply un-check the option in the grid-code settings to prevent this. Lastly, check that the rocker switch on the unit is set to On, rather than to Charger-Only. When set to charger-only, the unit refuses to discharge the battery. Note that to check this, you really need to physically check the rocker switch: you can't see its state by looking on VRM or on the GX Device. On a MultiPlus-II, this rocker switch is at the bottom of the unit and needs to be in the I position, not on II. Finally, if all above didn't help - temporarily disable LOM to make sure that is not causing an issue. Detailes in this document: VEConfigure: grid codes & loss of mains detection. 10.10. Q10:Why does the system refuse to discharge my battery see Q9

2 comments
2 |3000

I Have tried all this without success :( Eric
0 Likes 0 ·
I have tried these suggestion but no success
0 Likes 0 ·