question

danemt avatar image
danemt asked

Can I use MPPT 75/15 and Vehicle Alternator to charge vehicle battery?

I'm trying to use a 235w 24v pv to power a cooler and charge the truck batteries while parked. Do I need anything in line between the alternator and the charge controller to isolate while the engine is running, or can I connect them directly? The truck is an F250 diesel with dual 12v batteries in parallel. the cooler draws about 7 amps at 12v.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The charge controller cannot connect to the alternator. PV connects to the input of the charge controller, and the output of the charge controller connects to the battery. Have a look at the user and installation manual before you do anything!

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_75-10_up_to_100-20/en/index-en.html

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danemt avatar image danemt commented ·

The battery input is coming from the vehicle battery which is connected to the alternator. If i connect the battery to the battery connection on the MPPT will it damage the MPPT while the alternator is running?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ danemt commented ·
Nope, not at all! Multiple concurrent charge sources can be connected to a battery bank with no problems. Just be sure to install the controller in accordance with the manual and you'll be fine!
1 Like 1 ·