question

bozydarstarzyk avatar image
bozydarstarzyk asked

DESS not working at all

Dear Community,

I've been testing the DESS system for a few days now, using it in auto mode. Unfortunately, it's not functioning as expected. In fact, it seems not to be working at all. My electricity tariff is as follows:

2.png

Additionally, here's how my battery charging and electricity usage chart looks:

1.png

Previously, I used a different solution for energy consumption optimization (it wasn't a Victron solution), and the chart looked like this:

3.png

This makes sense because the independent system seemed to charge the batteries when the electricity was cheaper and allowed me to use the stored energy when the electricity prices were higher. Why then is your DESS not doing anything? The only activity I've noticed is the State of Charge (SOC) changing from 10% to 80%.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ESSdynamic ess
2.png (15.0 KiB)
1.png (33.0 KiB)
3.png (65.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) answered ·

I see that you are running version 3.13. Can you switch to the latest candidate release firmware?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bozydarstarzyk avatar image bozydarstarzyk commented ·
How to do it?
0 Likes 0 ·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ bozydarstarzyk commented ·
Via the remote console navigate to Settings -> Firmware -> Online updates -> Update feed And set that to "Latest release candidate". Then Check for updates and update.
0 Likes 0 ·
bozydarstarzyk avatar image bozydarstarzyk Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·
Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
bozydarstarzyk answered ·

Thanks, Victron, for letting me charge up to 150% of my battery capacity! :)

1.png

1.png (63.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Sssttt. That is using the hidden battery capacity. :)

And more seriously that seems to be a missing cap on 100%. I'll take a closer look at the cause tomorrow to check if that is indeed the case or something else is causing it.

0 Likes 0 ·
bozydarstarzyk answered ·

Another issue...

I have sent today to the grid exactly the same amount of kWh, as was generated by the sun. But its winter, and I had:
a) high enough consumption to use it, and
b) battery space.

Why?

1705869610282.png

1705869610282.png (101.4 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

bozydarstarzyk avatar image bozydarstarzyk commented ·

Still the same... I'm not happy about it.

1705953603311.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1705953603311.png (110.6 KiB)
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ bozydarstarzyk commented ·

This has to do with blocking issue #2, described in this post: https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/256073/dynamic-ess-on-beta-vrm-part-4.html

As soon as we have that sorted, this should no longer happen. Meanwhile you can set the checkbox for "Can you sell energy back to the grid" to no.

0 Likes 0 ·