question

robtor avatar image
robtor asked

Influxdb v2.0 support

Dear community and victron team,

I'am currently not using the venus-influxdb-loader which was a really nice solution to get the mqtt data into an influxdb, because I upgraded my monitoring systems to influxdb 2.0 which uses a new query language and authentication system.

Will there be at some point of time an upgrade/addition of the venus-influxdb-loader being compatible with v2 version of influxdb?

For other users also interested in a temporary workaround:

I currently run a telegraf instance within a docker container, that is configured using the mqtt-consumer plugin to transfer all topics into the influxdb. There are some advantages/disadvantages:

Advantages:

• More flexibility to process values before string
  • Generalized approach with an open source tool
  • Dynamic configurable through an influxdb instance

Disadvantages:

• Non-Victron solution
  • Separate subscriber needed to send keepalive packets to the mqtt on the Cerbo-GX
  • Difficult/annoying to configure to parse and store only topics of interest
    • This is unfortunately unsopported in the venus-influxdb-loader as well (would be a nice to have feature

So another suggestion of my side:

Why do not officially use telegraf in the promoted stack with grafana as a replacement for the venus-influxdb loader? Therefor maybe a tool must be developed that creates a telegraf configuration with previously discovered and selected topics? And regarding the keepalive, maybe there's another solution changing the keepalive mechanism or to write a custom telegraf plugin that parses victron dbus mqtt messages and also sends the necessary keepalives?

Another point I don't clearly understand (kind of off-topic):

Why is the GX device at least a MQTT server and not client? Wouldn't it be nice to configure the device as a client with secure MQTT and authentication to publish (all/or seleted) values to another server?

Last but not least: my telegraf configuration

[[inputs.mqtt_consumer
  servers = ["tcp://10.0.0.3:1883"]

## Topics that will be subscribed to.
  topics = [
    "N/+/#",
  ]

data_format = "json"

## Enable extracting tag values from MQTT topics
  ## _ denotes an ignored entry in the topic path
  [[inputs.mqtt_consumer.topic_parsing]]
    topic = "N/+/#"
    tags = "_/instance/
MQTTgrafanavrm logging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers