question

monroe avatar image
monroe asked

ESS Keep batteries charged lightly cycling batteries

Hi

Have just changed my victron/ Fronius from a parallel setup to Ac coupled. Added an ESS with keep batteries charged set, as they are gel batteries. Firmwares updatd to the latest

But once the batteries are full then the inverter turns ( green light turns on) on for a few seconds and uses battery power for a few seconds, then back to charging, and keeps repeating the cycle.

Any Ideas what is wrong.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

I think you need to turn off the keep battery charge in ESS. either use battery safe or otimized without battery safe.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

monroe avatar image monroe commented ·

Thanks, that worked. set on optimized with SOC 100%. Everything working well.

0 Likes 0 ·
carsten2 avatar image
carsten2 answered ·

I have optimized wthout battery safe enabled, but the problem persists. When the BMS sets current limit 0 and reduces the power, the Multiplus II bulk LED turn off and the absorbtion LED turns on, and after some seconds the inverter starts to take about 50W from the battery, even though there is surplus PV energy (AC connected to AC input). After a short time of discharging, the BMS allows charging again to the Multiplus starts charging and cycling between these two states.

1 comment
2 |3000

carsten2 avatar image carsten2 commented ·

I have the same problem. In an AC coupled system, the Multiplus seems to prefer battery power instead of AC power to for its own power consumption which is a bug I think. Also I do not understand the 50W. Is the Multiplus really consuming 50W even though it has nothing to do? The spec says 2W to 11W.

0 Likes 0 ·