question

rstarr avatar image
rstarr asked

MPPT Suddenly stopped charging

I have a Victron MPPT 100-50 with about 800w of solar. The MPPT has worked fine for several years now. Back on 12/12 the system just suddenly stopped charging. I logged about 20w PV yield for most of the day right up to sundown. The next morning nothing, and it's not logged a single watt of yield since.

I've not made any changes to the system, so I'm wondering if the controller just died? Each day the system shows input voltage but no current draw off the panels or any PV charging. The system is on a camper which stays plugged in so it's not an issue of keeping the batteries charged. There is around 20-30 watts of DC draw on the system all the time, so I generally always see some output from the MPPT. Just to check I disconnected from shore power and made sure the battery voltage dropped enough to force a charge but still nothing.

I've included a snapshot of a 30 day period of time for reference. You can see it was recording output up to the 12th then just stopped. The dashboard picture shows the MPPT in bulk (Bulk light is also on), there is 45v input but no output. Float is set at 13.5, battery voltage is currently 13.28 so I should have output from the MPPT.

What am I missing here?

dashboard.pngpv-voltage-and-current.pngpv-yield.png

System:

400Ah Lithium, BMV-712, Multiplus 12/2000, Cerbo, MPPT 100-50, 800w solar @ 48V

MPPT SmartSolar
dashboard.png (59.7 KiB)
pv-yield.png (36.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If your MPPT has a Bluetooth connection, please give us a screen print of the main page and the settings.

Your battery is pretty full, so not much PV yield is expected. The GX in your system may have turned the MPPT off. But what's odd is that it doesn't show battery voltage in the MPPT box. Could be a wiring or fuse issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rstarr avatar image rstarr commented ·
After submitting my question I kept digging. I found on the VRM Portal where you could update firmware. The Cerbo needed updated so I did, no change to the MPPT. I went out to the camper and checked the BMV on the app and it showed a Bluetooth update (it showed current on the VRM Portal). After completing the update (v2.43 updated to v2.46) the MPPT was charging again. I do have the VE.Smart Network activated so I'm thinking this "Bluetooth" update was creating a communication error possibly between the BMV and the MPPT. I did not check the status of the VE.Smart Network prior to doing the update so this is just an assumption.

So far it appears to be working again, I guess the old IT trick of reset everything and check for updates would apply in this case.

2 Likes 2 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Great, good to hear. Come back to us if you still have problems.

2 |3000

one-life avatar image
one-life answered ·

Hi there im having the same issue. suddenly no PV showing after shore power came back on. Any insights would be very appreciated. Firmware on solar controller is 1.64, cerbo has also been updated still no joy Regardsscreen-shot-2024-06-13-at-94728-am.pngscreen-shot-2024-06-13-at-94711-am.png

2 |3000