question

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid asked

Why can't ignore AC be used with ESS?

I have a home ESS system: 10kW Multiplus 2 with grid on ACin, Polytech batteries, PV and inverter on ACout controlled by CerboGX. In winter the batteries are charged at night, which then power the house daytime. In summer PV supplies most of the energy, with occassional grid top up as needed. I recently 'fine tuned' the system to ignore AC by adding in the 'general flag' assistant thus switching off the grid automatically during the day (rather than manually). At the time I had forgotten the comments in the Victron documentation (and on this forum) saying that these assistants cannot be used together.

My question is: Can anyone on the forum or from Victron explain what are the consequences of using Ignore AC with ESS?

I ask because as far as I can see, and test, my setup is doing what I want. The Generator start/stop facility admits the grid at night (cheaper electricty) and ESS charges the batteries to the required SOC, thereafter the grid powers the house loads before being switched off. Generator start/stop options also more easily allow me to charge the batteries every second or third night thus allowing an deeper discharge/charge cycle which Victron say is benficial for the batteries. EXCEPT, 5 minutes after the grid is switched on the following Alarm appears: -

Generator start/stop Generator not detected at AC-input: Alarm'

and remains until the grid is switched off. Irritating, confusing, but I could cope with that.

Clearly there is a conflict somewhere with these assisants but they do, neverthless, seem to be doing what I want of them. So what is the problem/danger???

Background: Guy in his video about ESS systems, would describe my system as being more 'Off grid with generator/grid backup' than ESS. I would happily ditch the ESS assistant and use the Generator options alone but the ESS scheduled charging options offer greater versatility and I struggle to see how to get the Generator route to work as well summer and winter with the highly variable PV input. There are numerous reasons why I switch off the grid supply during the day rather than leave it permanently connected and just let the ESS system get on with it. I see that as the worst of the various options open to me.

ESSac ignore
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@assyntdavid

All ESS features fall away when grid is disconnected/blackout or AC ignore is used. So the two are not really compatible in their logic and function.

AC ignore overrides it all.

ESS being so highly variable/flexible (and in user interaction) makes it superior to the AC ignore as you have already noted.

What you can do is use the generator control from the GX and a flag assistant to control the primary relay to make grid disconnect easier/more flexible than the generator or general flag assistant. Requires a bit of control wiring between relays.

(Between the aux and the GX and an assisant to drive the primary relay based on the signal at the aux.)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Thanks @Alexandra. Many many months ago I asked the forum for suggestions on how best to fit and control an external relay to isolate the mains during scheduled time periods and I think you helped then. At the time I was unfamiliar with using the general flag or Cerbo relay but more importantly I had trouble sourcing a 230V 60A mains relay. (I don't know the size of the DNO fuse but it was meant to be 60A. Arguably I should fit a 100A relay just in case.) Plus I have limited space between the mains isolator and Multiplus in which to wire and fit the relay. So I stuck with manual switching of the grid.

Having recently unintentionally broken the 'rules' and set up ignore AC with ESS I have found that it DOES seem to work for my case. The ESS scheduled charging options all seem to work as normal, and I can't find anything that isn't working. So I'm left wondering why bother going to the expense and significant hassle of fitting an external relay, other than an irritating alarm that makes no sense? What am I missing?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
If your set up is working then it is fine I guess.

ESS is designed to mix grid and solar during the day. You obviously have enough solar to be almost off grid. And during the day are self sufficient.

Are you using the generator start stop on the GX? If you are then in the menu (somewhere) there is an option to have the system tell you if the generator is present. So check it there.

0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Thanks @Alexandra for getting back, you are generous with your expertise and time. You have, via your comment, sorted the Alarm issue - hurrah! The Alarm problem lay with the 'Detect generator at AC input' option which was set to ON. This was already set to ON, and as electricity is electricity, I left it. However if you switch it OFF and try to reset it back to ON, you can't. An advisory appears saying that the AC input must be set to Generator first. Still slightly odd to me as the dashboard is still displaying the usual AC input data when it is connected.

I don't think my system puts any great demand on the ESS option. It is mainly a night storage system with some PV for summer. The house is low energy, batteries are oversized at 20kWh, historical PV is small at 1.4kW but sufficient for the house to be essentially off grid for 2-3 months on the summer. On the few occassions when batteries were full and we had spare PV I manually reconnected to the grid. When connected to the grid under simple ESS the Multiplus constantly 'hunts' around zero import/export. The small amounts of energy imported and exported during the day, combined with the increased self-use of energy by the Multiplus added signifcantly to the energy running costs of the system. But more than that my 10kW Multiplus 2 is in the middle of the house and very noisy, especially when connected to grid. The fan mod has improved matters, but watching tv or chatting in the lounge was unpleasant with the Multi on the other side of the wall. Even off grid in Inverter mode when running ~100W house loads it is significantly noisier than my other 5kW Multi in an off grid hut running ~50W loads - but tolerable. No idea why and not anticipated.

Thanks again

David

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I will admit I have never owned and do not ever Intend to own a MP2. (And as much as I am a fan of the Victron stuff don't really like them - sorry Victron :(

Will stick to the older MP and Quattros for as a long as they make them.

The Inverter RS and the Multi RS by far and away is a better product for sound and efficiency. I have one of each. Love them. The ESS on the Multi RS is solid and it's simplicity is great.

I also disconnect from grid though so I hear where you are coming from. I have a thing about even drawing 50W from grid. Only time we connect is on rainy days when the lack of solar strong arms me into it.

0 Likes 0 ·
assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

@Alexandra Interesting, I naively assumed that newer was better!! No regrets re Victron, the remote monitoring for our insolated hut is superb and offers all I need and more. But noise is important in homes, montorhomes, yachts, etc. It is surely something they must address going forward.

Happy Yuletide,

David

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual