question

Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote asked

Disabling MPPT throttling

This system is not grid-tied. It has two 375W going to two 100/20 smart solar MPPT controllers, where each MPPT is dedicated to just its own corresponding panel. The system voltage is set to 24V.

Based on panel testing at midday using a solar tester, I should see 330W out of each panel -- given current sun and panel angle. The max I have seen is 290W from each MPPT. Interestingly that is 580W/2.

The upper rating for one 100/20 MPPT is also 580W and thus artificially throttling each MPPT to 50%. It appears some how, despite having two MPPTs, the system still wants to limit total wattage to the Max of just one MPPT, which is 580W

How do I disable this unwanted throttling?

There is a Cerbo GX, a 712BVM, 3000 Multiplus, and 2x100/20 MPPT in the system with a 24V battery. The current charge limit to battery is 150A.

I see others with similar questions from several years ago, but no answers.

Note:

When I say not "grid tied," I mean there is currently no mains and no plan on selling power back. For emergency, there is a transfer switch for either a generator or mains to supplement charge the battery bank when needed. The system is setup in inverter mode. The battery has been at low voltage cut-off and generally stays around 50 - 80% SoC. The charge controllers during testing have been in "BULK" mode.

I can find no significant sources of line loss as the worst situation I'm seeing 2% or less loss. However, I'm loosing 30% or more of available peak solar production even when the MPPTs are in BULK and the current is well below the battery's charge rating. I notice no significant hot spots or hot wires above ambient. Some points are maybe 8F (4C) above ambient, but that looks like it may be heat from the device dissipating into the connector since the device itself is 20F (10C) above ambient.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rusty's Gaming avatar image
Rusty's Gaming answered ·

Hi,

There is no throttling. In full sun a tier 1 panel will produce about 80% of rated wattage. cheap panels even less.

So 290 watt from each panel sounds about right.

As solar panels heat up you get less wattage output.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yotamota avatar image
yotamota answered ·

if you want look up NOCT spec's. NOCT specs are set for 800w/m2.

STC ( standard test conditions) is 1000w/m2

2 |3000