question

iemand avatar image
iemand asked

Terminology

Being a novice in the world of electrical manipulation I am longing for some clear definitions and consistent use of terminology. Recently diving into the wonderful Victron world I notice that many devices are converting electricity from AC to DC or vice versa. Another view would be a device converts electricity from a fixed voltage (like 230V (grid) or 48V (battery)) or varying voltage (say 45-70V in case of a solar panel or hydro generator). For example, a device converting 230VAC into 48VDC could be called a "battery charger". If it is then let us use this term consistently.

Based on the above I'd like to list 5 variations prevalent in the Victron ecosystem. Notice that 48VDC is interchangeable with - like - 12VDC, or 230VAC with 120VAC for those living in developing nations.

a. 230VAC -> 48VDC, could be named "battery charger"
b. 48VDC -> 230VAC
c. 48VDC -> 12VDC
d. 45-70VDC -> 230VAC
e. 45-70VDC -> 48VDC

My questions (mand!) are the following:
1. What is the proper name for each of the above functionalities in the Victron ecosystem?
2. Victron devices can combine functionalities. Please list all of them and their appropriate names
3. I do hope the Victron world avoids ambiguity. It would be most unfortunate if d) is named "solar charger" and some device is referred to as "charger". Mm. Like "battery charger"? Or "solar charger"? Or both? Yes, these are legitimate questions. Let's not forget the city of Babylon went down for less!

language
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sorry, but I'm not going to do your research for you. Your threat of an offensive reward in option 2 is a major disincentive and nearly got the post deleted.

If you go to Victronenergy.com and select products from the hamburger menu, you will see the categories, products and their descriptions and documentation.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks @kevgermany it was close. Edited instead.

The website already categorises everything for you and has short descriptions of the components and what they do.

There are loads of brochures to peruse and learn from @Iemand suggest a bit of self learning. And YouTube if you don't like reading.

2 Likes 2 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic