question

Rasmus Mikkelsen avatar image
Rasmus Mikkelsen asked

Cell unbalance with grid feed-in?

Hi all

I have a question I can't seem to figure out.

My system is MP2 48/5000 with 6.2kwp solar and 20kwh of storage, 18650 14s200p.

So problem has always been imbalanced cells duing grid feed-in, never understood why. There is no problem whenever it's charging at 4-5kw+, cells stays within 0.01-0.03v, but as soon as its feeding to grid, cells starts to become unbalanced, and will get back to be perfectly balanced once sun goes down.

Here is a day earlier this summer as an example, showing how cells go out of balance when reaching top SoC and starts to grid feed-in, in the middle of the day.

screenshot-20231011-125243-vrm.jpg

It makes top balancing hard. But I've learned to live with it, and turned off top balancing since it's not really needed, they stay within 0.01-0.02v of each other all the time, well except under heavy load and grid feed.

So today I figured I would try a scheduled charge from grid since price a kwh was low and my batteries were empty.

Weird thing is, cells starts to go out of balance again when charging from grid. It was set to charge from 11.00 to 13.00. At 11.01 already 0.1v diff from lowest to highest.

screenshot-20231011-131638-vrm.jpg

This picture here however shows later duing today charging at 4kw+ without cells going out of balance?

screenshot-20231011-134128-vrm.jpg

I find this odd :-) Is it because of using laptop cells, they are all testet multiple times and only using cell that has less than 15% degradation. System has been running for over a year now without any problems except this imbalance.

Or is it because of the 0.4v offset to be able to grid feed, but what would cause same behavior when charging from grid?

Thanks, I hope someone more knowledged than me can chime in :-)

From Rasmus

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Rasmus Mikkelsen

Look in the console under the battery and see if it is the same cell every time.

If it is then that cell just has a different internal property to the others in the pack.

It happens in battery packs.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rasmus Mikkelsen avatar image Rasmus Mikkelsen commented ·

Hi Alexandra :-)

Thank you, yea it might very well be due to the difference in cells. I've just always wondered. Here is a video I took earlier this year - https://youtu.be/2pURmrKxe2s?si=NbuTutENhp6Zy8D-

You can see how the max and min cell differ. The blue bars in the BMS software represents one cell, total of 14.

0 Likes 0 ·