question

alank avatar image
alank asked

Can operate a Victron SmartSolar 100/50 with with constant voltage (MPPT off)?

I am operating a SmartSolar 100/50 with a LiFePO batter that has inbuilt charge management. I am wondering if I can operate the Smart solar with MPPT off. Ie constant voltage, variable current.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Not really.

As panel voltage rises the BMS will cut the charge to protect the battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

A more complete answer.

The MPPT will always use a charging profile.

Is the battery really expecting a constant voltage charge? Seems unusual.

What will happen is that the MPPT will output power starting at battery voltage and rising until absorption voltage is reached. It will maintain this as a fixed voltage until current drops to the tail current setting or the time limit is reached. At this point it drops to float voltage.

You will get a pseudo fixed voltage by setting absorption to the fixed voltage you want. Set float just below this.

2 |3000

rausimous avatar image
rausimous answered ·

the solar charger will always try to keep the output voltage the same
and you can set a maximum current in the mppt you can turn a 100V/50A in a 100V/1A if you want

the mppt will use a buck converter that's set "slightly" higher as your batery voltage and deliver the maximum current it can/is allowed to in bulk mode

in float mode it will keep a constant volatage and a variable current

disabling mppt has noting to do with the output voltage

mppt is a way to extract more power out of solar pannels (more efficient)

the victron charge controller is made to charge
lead acid
lition ion with charge controller

just select the right preset and verify that ist good for your battery1696715973833.png

please share your battery specks so we can give advice

1696715973833.png (27.7 KiB)
2 |3000