Solar charger status

Hallo,

my config is:

MP2 5000

Solar charger 250/60

SmartShunt

Pi4 with Venus OS 3.01 + SerialBattery driver

JK BMS + 16x280Ah LiFePo4

The BMS option is set to none in Venus, as I only want to monitor cellvoltages.

The smartshunt and solar charger are connected to each other via VE.Network.

Absorbtion is set to 55.2V, Float 54.0V, Re-Bulk 0.6V.

When absorbtion is finished the MP2 enables float LED, but the solarcharger stays at absorption, blinking all 4 seconds, which means receiving data (user manual tells this).

Shouldn't the float (green LED) blink all 4 seconds too?

MPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

The inverter and the MPPT don't have to be in the same state. In many cases where the system is not battery/bms managed this can be so as each component then uses its internal charge cycle.

What are your float and absorption voltages? Is the MP and the Mppt reading them correctly (within margin of error)?

Does the mppt read as under external control or not.in the GX?

0 Likes 0 ·
11 Answers
groove avatar image
groove answered ·

OK, I thought because the MPPT is in slave mode and it shows ext.control, the MP2 as master controls the charge cycle and only on failure the MPPT uses its own settings as backup.

Both, MP2 and MPPT have the same voltage settings for absorption and float.

Thats why I expected a green float LED from MPPT.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The smartshunt and solar charger are connected to each other via VE.Network.

With a GX device, better enable DVCC. Set the Smart Shunt as the Battery Monitor.

Don't use VE.Smart Networking.

2 |3000

groove avatar image
groove answered ·

OK, DVCC is allready enabled and smartshunt is also set to battery monitor.

Will try with VE.Network disabled and report.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Are you using ESS?

Do you charge the battery with both the MPPT and the Multiplus II?

2 |3000

groove avatar image
groove answered ·

Yes, I use ESS and its true, I load with MP2, because I got another DC/AC inverter installed (Fronius 3kWp) and MPPT 250/60 with 4kWP connected between battery and MP2.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Just curious:

When you listed the configuration of your system, why you did not mention the PV inverter?

2 |3000

groove avatar image
groove answered ·

Sorry, didnt think it's that Importamt.

So today the MP2 went to bulk and so did the MPPT (blinking every 4th second like expected).

But when the MP2 reached absorption and later float state, the MPPT still was in bulk.

Dont know what the problem is. Maybe just a bug.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

You said you are using ESS. In this case, MPPT state during the day should be "External Control". Your MPPT has a different state?

2 |3000

groove avatar image
groove answered ·

No, it is in external control at day. At night off. Just the LED state from MPPT is confusing.

MP2 state in VRM portal is the same as LED on MP2, state of MPPT in VRM is external control, but today LED stayed on bulk, blinking every 4 seconds.

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

When using ESS (and this has been discussed in a few threads here on the forum), the desired state is for the mppts to remain in bulk, this is to keep them in the ready to provide bulk power for loads and has nothing to do with battery status.

Otherwise you would have to wait for your batteries to drip into rebulk (drawing down and cycling the battery) before the mppt starts to produce again (so un desired)

It is not a bug.

2 |3000

groove avatar image
groove answered ·

Thanks for the explanation. That realy makes sense.

There should be a table of truth in the MPPT manual what happens when ESS ist activated or VE.Network is enabled.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

If you do some digging it is mostly in the docs.

Considering this is all managed by DVCC, good info is in that section of the docs:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html#UUID-5e22b3c7-bb17-e103-9f5d-50a8f4147ad6

0 Likes 0 ·