question

ste7of1 avatar image
ste7of1 asked

How to connect second smart mppt to raspberry Pi ve.direct and/or ve.smart

When adding a second smart mppt (smartsolar 100/30) to existing configuration which consists of raspberryPi/venusOS and multiplus 3000(ve.bus USB connected) and a 100/50 (ve.direct to USB connector) and BMV700 (ve.direct to USB), can I synchronize the 2 smart MPPT devices using ve.smart network and rely on exisiting ve.direct connection to RPi or do I need to connect second MPPT (100/30) to RPi via another ve.direct/USB cable. Search results here seem to indicate ve.smart and ve.direct don’t play together.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Connect them all to the GX device.

Do not use VE.Smart Networking on any of them.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ste7of1 avatar image ste7of1 commented ·
Thanks for response…So the GX device (RPi/venusOS) handles the synchronization of charging between the two smartsolar chargers?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ ste7of1 commented ·
If you enable and configure DVCC. But best to program both independently as well, saves future errors causing problems.
1 Like 1 ·
Philip avatar image
Philip answered ·

You need to connect second MPPT (100/30) to RPi via another ve.direct/USB cable.
VenusOS handles the synchronization of charging between the two smartsolar chargers via cables. Even more, Venus OS becomes a kind of a hub and both MPPTs will be sinchroznized with the BMS if you have a BMS that can talk with Venus and you use DVCC.
And there are some advantages of connecting them also via VE.Smart BT connection, but its not required. "Off-grid garage" made a video on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr_P3DPZT88

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

In that video he uses DVCC only for limiting the battery charging current.

He has Shared Current Sense (SCS) and Shared Voltage Sense (SVC) disabled.

With a BMV/SmartShunt, besides enabling DVCC, you want those enabled (also Shared Temperature Sense, if you have a temperature sensore for the battery attached to the SmartShunt).

0 Likes 0 ·
ste7of1 avatar image
ste7of1 answered ·

Thanks for responses. No DVCC. Have ve.direct cable on order. Was hoping to use bluetooth synchronization so avoid using USB hub for multiple ve.direct to RPi. Seems a shame not to be able to take advantage of the bluetooth networking to reduce ve.direct cabling.

i currently use smart network to monitor battery temperature/voltage for 100/50 - at least I think I’m doing that, maybe its ignoring it and getting info from RPi, Can I do that with 100/30 as well or delete ve.smart network all together as suggested above.

2 |3000