question

anonymous37389 avatar image
anonymous37389 asked

18% voltage drop / 400 watt / mppt 150/35

Hi,

I have one 410watt solar panel running at 42.3 volt. I meassured it with the multi meter at the mc4 connector directly on the panel.

Now when I connect it to the Victron MPPT 150/35, i only read 33-40Volt in the victron connect app. Avg. 35-36 volt. The panel also doesn’t generate 400watts, but the max i have seen in Greece is 330 watt.

I have around 10 meter of 8 gauge wire through my sailboat, 8.36mm2. Which should be thick enough?

Its a pretty big drop 10-20%…

Any ideas? Thank you

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Some comments:

-------

If it's on a boat, it might not be optimally oriented towards the Sun. So expect some power drop from that.

Also if there is any shade, you will have a power drop because of that.

High panel temperature also causes a power reduction.

-------

PV panel open circuit voltage is always higher than PV panel voltage when generating power.

-------

Even if using a 12V battery, the MPPT maximum current to the battery (35A) corresponds with about the maximum power output of your PV panel, so that should not be a limiting factor.

-------

The AWG8/10mm2 wires are thick enough, if those are between the PV panel and the MPPT.

Between the MPPT and the battery you should have thicker wires - 16mm2/AWG6 (and as short as possible).

-------

You have to make sure that the generated power has somewhere to go (charging the battery and/or powering some loads).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.